Metal Studs TV Mount Help

Old 10-31-10, 06:33 AM
Metal Studs TV Mount Help

Hi,

I recently purchased the following TV wall mount for my 42" phillips LCD TV:

http://www.simplicityav.com/assets/S...903-002006.pdf

I was going to install it using toggle bolts, but got worried when I noticed the manual saying: "This product is designed for us in wood frame walls only!"

Should I return the wall mount and get another one that is designed for metal studs? Or would I be okay mounting this on the metal studs with the toggle bolts?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-10, 07:21 AM
Group Moderator
Metal studs are not strong enough to support the weight of a TV unless it is very small. You will need to open the wall and install wood backing. Either 3/4" plywood or 2x lumber will work.

Old 10-31-10, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the advice Tolyn.

I think I'll go the safer route then, and get a tv stand with a mount built in.

Old 10-31-10, 12:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I think you're missing the point. Sheetrock, nor metal studs will hold a TV. As Scott said you should open the wall up, install blocking between the metal studs, finish the wall off, and install whatever mount you want. We do it all the time where metal studs are in a prime location for a TV. During construction we try to install the blocking ahead of time to prevent having to open the walls up even on wooden studs.

Old 11-01-10, 01:41 PM
Right, I understand what is involved here...

Unfortunately I don't have the experience or knowledge to open a wall up, install the blocks, and re-plaster it. I'm afraid I will damage my living room up.

I would feel comfortable drilling on to the metal studs, and using the right screws...but it seems like that won't suffice.

Thanks for all the advice though.

Old 11-03-10, 10:56 AM
toggle bolts

Afternoon Warffle, I work at The Home Depot, and a running joke at my store in Atlanta is that Saturday is TV mount day, uaually early because of football, and Sunday is "fix what I bought at IKEA day." Toggle bolts will work fine to hang your mount on the wall. There is also a product called a "TOGGLER" that, although not new, it is gaining in popularity. It works like a toggle bolt, but the toggle stays in place inside the wall. Metal studs are good for hanging sheetrock and that's about it. With either type of bolt, just avoid the stud. If you're concerned about your TV coming down during the big game, and your friends laughing at you and your handyman skills, just use more, but really, four should be enough. Remember, this is really "shear" weight and not "pull" weight, which is what these anchors are good at. I'm a blacksmith, also, and have used toggle bolt to mount handrails on walls, and none have come down in 15 years.
I hope this unmuddies the water a little bit.
Ray the Hammer
Oh yeah, I think that disclaimer was probably something their lawyers told them to put in there as a liability thing.

Old 11-03-10, 01:02 PM
Group Moderator
I do a lot of commercial work where the carpenters mainly use steel studs spaced 24" oc and 5/8" drywall. Anytime there is a TV or similar item to be hung on the wall they always install 3/4" backing into the wall.

I have seen the Toggler's before used by commercial furniture systems and while they are very good, I don't they would be enough for this TV. The OP's drywall might also be only 1/2". If you look at the mount he posted it has an articulating arm on it. This would move the weight out from the wall so it would not only be shear weight.

Old 11-03-10, 02:22 PM
I actually just installed a 52" LED tv. The people i installed it for bought the mount, and since it was my first LED tv install i dont know what other mounts are out there. I have to say when i opened the box i was concerned. First thing i saw were these big plastic toggle bolts with a metal piece on it that the bolt threads into. Second, i noticed that the mounting brackets could not be installed 16" apart, max was 12 1/2" This means that only one could be installed on a stud. As reluctant as i was, i installed it anyway, and let me tell you it was SOLID.

Old 11-03-10, 05:38 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by ElectricJoeNJ View Post
First thing i saw were these big plastic toggle bolts with a metal piece on it that the bolt threads into.
Those do sound like Togglers. Did you only install the anchors or did you hit one stud? Was the LED TV fairly light?

Old 11-03-10, 06:38 PM
I'll have to go with Scott on this one. Toggle bolts and the bracket the OP picked out shouldn't be used in the same sentence. That mount canilevers and all the weight of the TV increases the pull on the sheetrock the more you extend it from the wall. There's no way I'd install a TV to a wall with toggle bolts. I can repair sheetrock a heck of a lot cheaper after installing backer than I can afford a new TV, the tile it fell on and broke, the wood floor it chipped, grandma's coffee table sitting under it......disclaimers are for lawyers to CYA, they have no place in the real world. Tell it like it is and don't pull your punches.

Old 11-03-10, 07:17 PM
Group Moderator
Old 11-04-10, 05:00 AM
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
Those do sound like Togglers. Did you only install the anchors or did you hit one stud? Was the LED TV fairly light?
There was no way i was putting it up without hitting one stud. It meant i had to shift the tv off center a little from where they originally wanted it, but i felt more comfortable with it. So one side of bracket in stud, and the other with a toggler. I gotta say the toggler felt solid, but i WOUDLNT trust it on a cantilever mount or on an LCD tv. the LED was fairly light. Actually the base weighed more than the tv. TV probably wasnt more than 25-30 pounds and the base felt like it was 40 lol..

Old 11-04-10, 05:03 AM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Yup those were the ones. I had never seen them before, until i opened that mount box up. After hanging over a 100 or so LCD tvs you could imagine how shocked i was to see those in a TV mounting box. Then about a month later i see them at Home Depot or Lowes, cant remember which.

Old 11-04-10, 08:38 AM
Group Moderator
Good that you hit one wood stud. It would still be a no go for me with metal studs.

Old 11-05-10, 01:46 AM
the mount wont matter
its the screws and bolts that make the biggest issue

a mount that has a bunch of holes is a great mount as whatever spot doesnt hit a stud, you can toggle bolt on your wall for extra support

Old 11-05-10, 04:22 AM
It isn't the screws or bolts, but the substrate to which it is applied that is the Super Biggest Isssue. You gotta understand some Physics to know a lever is a powerful tool, and the cantilevered mount is nothing but a glorified lever with the wall as a fulcrum. It will tear out of sheetrock, guaranteed.