Spacers

Old 11-19-10, 05:04 PM
Spacers

Where the heck can I buy some metal spacers about 1-2" long? I've tried the home centers and internet searches. Online all I can find is a few catalogs without ordering info an chrome spacers at $11/ea, apparently foir motorcycles.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-10, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator
What are you using them for. They could be made out of many materials...depending on the application and size.

Old 11-20-10, 03:23 AM
Metal, like zinc-coated steel, nothing special, they have all kinds of uses for general DIY like filling in space on a bolt and making hinges. Click on the pdf download here to see an example application:Free Plan: Space Saving Tool Rack - Fine Woodworking

Old 11-20-10, 04:59 AM
My local Lowe’s carries common sized spacers. They are in the aisle where odd type hardware is kept, and will be in small plastic trays marked spacers. Rocky’s Ace Hardware has a couple locations in S. FL, and also has a decent selection. I have a couple mom & pop hardware stores nearby, and they have good selections.

Marine stores such as Boat Owners Warehouse are another good source but usually not for zinc steel due to rust . . . they’ll carry plastic, and in metals, aluminum, stainless steel {usually limited options}, and sometimes brass.

MSC Google Search Results {buying small quantity hardware on the Internet is usually not the most cost effective option, especially when shipping costs are included}.

I had a hurricane hardening project last year where I needed large spacers so that I could hang some strut from my vinyl sided house. Without spacers, the vinyl siding would be sucked into the concrete block wall when tightening down the strut. I searched locally and the Internet, and could not find large spacers made to the size I needed. So I custom cut them out of PVC hollow rod 1 5/8" OD x 9/16" ID Hollow Rod | U.S. Plastic Corp.

While you shouldn’t have a problem finding spacers at some hardware stores, they often only carry a small number of various sizes, and it seems like the compartment for the size I’m looking for is either empty or short the number needed. For this reason, I have several plastic storage boxes filled with various sized plastic and aluminum/stainless steel spacers so they’re on hand when needed.

Old 11-20-10, 05:28 AM
I think you get the concept - juryrigging and improvisation! They are one of those things that would be endlessly useful to have a few boxes of in various sizes, but all I find at the big box stores in the drawers is what looks like the remnants of former stock (tiny useless sizes) if they have any in metal at all. I'd like to have a supply of 1/4" - 3/8" inside diameter in longer lengths, like 1/2" up to about 2".

I know there has to be a Mother Lode supplier out there somewhere - I'll try the marine stores - plenty around here!

Old 11-20-10, 05:37 AM
Another application is holding objects mounted to an exterior wall (esp on wood siding) out from the wall so the area behind them doesn't stay wet and rot. I've used rings cut from S40 PVC for this purpose, but it's not the ideal solution.