Hose Clamp to Fix light?

Old 11-20-10, 05:23 PM
Hose Clamp to Fix light?

I have outdoor area lights, somebody hit one. The quarter inch hollow cylindrical shaft that the wires run down through snapped a little below ground level. If I had something that worked like a hose clamp but was a couple inches wide, I could open it and use it to 'splint' the piece. Half of it above and half of it below the break and then screw it closed tight. It would be a strong as new. I dont care about the looks, most if not all would be covered by the soil.

Anybody have any macgyver type ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-10, 09:45 PM
i don't see that lasting. welding is the 2nd best idea. rebuilding is the best idea, if welding will not work.

Old 11-20-10, 10:08 PM
Actually, the best idea would be replacing it but I really dont want to dig it up to get to the the main wire and welding is not an option.

Old 11-21-10, 05:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are you talking line voltage or low voltage? If low voltage you could do a MacGyver fix, but line voltage will require you do it right....dig it up, replace the conduit or fitting. Got any pictures? http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html

Old 11-21-10, 11:15 AM
From looking very closely, I see that it snapped right at the top of the threads where the two sections screw together, not that it matters.

Old 11-21-10, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator
Piece of PVC or CPVC the correct inside diameter...carefully cut it lengthwise on both sides..put around the pipe and use regular hose clamps above and below the break.

Paint the PVC to help it last a bit longer in the sun.

Old 11-21-10, 02:27 PM
Excellent idea! I should've of thought that. Even better, instead of PVC, something strong enough to provide the support but pliable enough to cut just once and then pry it open, letting it almost close again before the clamps. What would that be...

@chandler, its low voltage.

Old 11-21-10, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator
Well...something like irrigation pipe might work..but hard to buy in short lengths. Maybe PEX..but same issue. And those might need 3-4 clamps.

The PVC would be cheap and easy to cut.

Old 11-21-10, 03:28 PM
Maybe flexible non metallic conduit?

Old 11-21-10, 03:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
OR buy a new base and replace it!!!! We're giving ideas and you're going a different direction, and they all may work. You'll just have to try the best thing.

Old 11-21-10, 04:27 PM
whatever you do. put some sealer on there first. so water doesn't get in.

Old 11-21-10, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
OR buy a new base and replace it!!!! We're giving ideas and you're going a different direction, and they all may work. You'll just have to try the best thing.
Gunguy45's idea is the way to go, but you cant get PEX in short lengths like you can with the conduit. I havent worked with it.

Old 11-22-10, 04:45 AM
Gunguy45 has the right idea if wanting to avoid a welded solution or pole replacement.

Ready made hardware is available if preferring to use metal rather than plastic splices. See U-brackets on this page Kee Klamp, Speedrail and Fittings for Pipe Handrail, Railings and Racks. Kee Klamps structural pipe fittings are another alternative Kee Klamp Fittings if you were able to dismantle the light fixture so it could be slid over the wire and pole (Iíve seen split splice connectors that may be a copycat to Kee Klamps but could not find them doing an Internet search). Both may be a bit challenging to find locally although a first try at a local building supply company might locate them. Structural pipe fittings are mostly used to build industrial storage racks and hand rails so a local company specializing in this type construction may carry them.

If you had a vise and angle grinder with a cutting wheel, it would be fairly easy to cut an appropriate sized pipe lengthwise. Several different type specialty saws would also work. A saddle clamp would cinch tighter and produce a stronger splice than using a worm gear hose clamp.

Old 11-22-10, 07:47 PM
I'll start first with Gunguy45's PVC suggestion. The cutting wheel and pipe would be next if the PVC didnt work out. I didnt see any kee clamps with the right dimensions.

Last edited by supersonicklutz; 11-22-10 at 07:49 PM. Reason: kee clamps