32" TV wall mounted with flat/tilt bracket on metal studs

Old 01-05-11, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
32" TV wall mounted with flat/tilt bracket on metal studs

Hello,

I've been trying to piece together information for my specific situation from various other threads but I'm getting a little lost.

I'm looking to wall mount my TV on the living room wall in my condo. The wall I want to mount it on isn't very thick and in the middle of the wall there are conduits for cable, electrical, and telephone running vertically for the other floors. The studs appear to be ~20" apart and are metal. The drywall looks to be 1/2".
I have a Sharp Aquos 32-inch LCD HDTV which comes in @ 36.38 lbs.

From the other posts I've read most say that metal studs require some sort of backing for additional support but they also appear to be for arms that extend from the wall. I'll either be picking up a tilt mount or just plain if that helps the situation.

In my case would the metal studs be sufficient for the weight or would some additional reinforcement be required? I've seen plywood spanning 2 studs as a fairly typical suggestion which I'd be willing to do if that would help.

Thanks for any additional information!

Jon

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-11, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Are the studs 1 1/2" or 3" thick, and do the wires run in the studs or just near them?

I assume you have the wall open since you can see the conduits. I had the same problem recently with the install of a 47" TV that was flat mounted. I inserted 2 x 4's into the hollow part of the studs. I then put 2 cross braces between the metal studs and put the drywall back up. If you can't run a cross brace between the studs, your plywood idea sounds good, but I would absolutely stiffen the studs and have something to screw into.