Need Double Swing Door Hinges for Exterior Door.

Old 04-28-11, 08:32 PM
Question Need Double Swing Door Hinges for Exterior Door.

Need hinges for a unique application that will allow a wooden exterior door to swing in both directions. Having a surprisingly hard time finding them. It can not be spring loaded (like saloon door hinges) unless I am able to remove the spring. If possible stainless steel, but not critical.

Any ideas - thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-11, 03:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
OK, gotta ask....how do you latch these magic doors? How does the threshold seal against them? How do you seal the sides and top against the weather? Have you ever seen this type door in action? Can you post a couple of pix so we can see what you see? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 04-29-11, 09:17 AM

Hopefully that picture is visible.

Great Questions Chandler - thanks for asking them. The doors are sealed against a normal door frame with latches that shoot up into the frame and down into the threshold when locked in place. The Double swing only happens when the doors are open and one door needs to fold against the adjacent. When fully open these doors are acting as a wind break and can be latched down into the deck floor as well as waist level into a deck railing. To make it more interesting, this is a floating home - so stainless steel would be good, but not crucial. Again thanks for your interest in helping out.

Old 04-29-11, 09:25 AM
Picasa seems to block - let's see if this link works

Old 04-29-11, 09:39 AM
Trying Flickr now:

Deck Door | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 04-29-11, 12:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I understand the latch side of each door section will or can be pinned up and down. How about the middle where you want your articulating hinges. What keeps them from flapping in the breeze? Will you have 4 pin sets for the opening? One for each door segment?
In looking at your pix, I don't think you need articulating hinges. It would seem in the closed position, the hinge in the middle would be collapsed. If you opened the entire double segment, it would still be collapsed. Only when you close it up against the other half in the opened position would the hinge "swing" into action (no pun intended). Am I missing something? If not, a large piano type hinge mounted to the inside of the door segments would allow for full opening and collapsed opening.

Old 04-29-11, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator
They make doors like that...I think Jeld-Wen is one. My neighbors kids' built a house where they have similar doors that open to the backyard. Can't remember what they are called though. I know they were about $10k for the length they got....

As to just getting the hinges? Dunno....

Old 04-29-11, 05:51 PM
Thanks Folks!

Yes, each door segment (including the middle) will have pin sets into the threshold and frame overhead. And yes, when the door sections are kept in the fully open position (and acting as a wind break) the middle hinge (between segments) remains collapsed. However there are times when we will want to open the doors fully (on calm days), but then fold the inner doors back in and out of the way against the outer doors. That is what requires the double way hinge - which we're finding tricky to locate.

If we were willing to fold those middle segments back and behind behind the outer segments, it would work with a piano hinge (or any strong hinges), but for a number of reasons (like the deck railing) we're trying to avoid that solution.

Old 05-07-11, 09:00 AM
Steveorino, if you're still pondering a solution, I assume the "folding back upon itself"
is unworkable because when folded you do not have the clearance behind the door frame to accomodate the stowed leaf. Be aware that commercial grade butt hinges are available in a wide variety of widths & heights...by selecting a narrow width for the leaf-to-leaf hinges, and a wide width for the frame-to-leaf hinges, the stowed position would require minimal if any clearance behind the frame hinges.

Old 05-07-11, 09:14 AM
Just thought of it: a "swing clear" butt hinge mounted in reverse will do the same thing.

Old 05-07-11, 10:39 AM
Thanks Rstipe - I think you just got us there!

Old 05-08-11, 10:11 AM
Timing being everything, I just received an advertising email yesterday from Sierra Pacific: Latches, Hinges, Cam Locks & More | SPEP.com I have never done business with them but they might have what you're looking for. I can't say if they sell directly to consumers, but if they have/make what you need, you can ask them where to purchase.