ceiling tiles falling down, falling down, falling down

Old 01-02-01, 06:35 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Some of our living room ceiling tiles are loosening and dipping toward the floor. The tiles are tongue and groove and quite old, probably fifty years or so. They measure approximately 14" by 28" and are not hanging tiles. We first noticed the problem shortly after repainting the ceiling, something we had done several times before with no problem. We have tried staples, the tiles pulled right through them. Even tried a screw in an inconspicuous spot, but the tile pulled right through the head of it too. We didn't leave either in, but the ceiling is sagging more and more. We have looked at ceiling adhesive but can't figure out a way of getting it to the needed spot without taking down the ceiling and making it worse rather than better. Any ideas. Thanks for any advise, we sure do need it.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-01, 08:17 AM
Visiting Guest
Angry

Mary Jo,
Are you sure they are REALLY falling, or like Chicken Little and Henny Penny, you are just overreacting?
I am actually inclined to over-react a bit myself. Are you sure that it is just the ceiling tiles that are falling, and not the sheetrock or plaster above them?
If it is just the tile, you might be able to inject some liquid nails (or similar adhesive) through the tile to get them to stick. If you drilled a 1/4" hole in one of the tiles, and then cut the tip of a 1 qt liquid nails tube of glue and put it in the hole, you should be able to "inject" the glue through the hole and above the tile. Then I would suggest taking a stick with the end padded with a piece of carpet or something and wedging it between the floor and sagging ceiling tile to hold it in place until the glue dries... a couple days should do it.
This is just a suggestion for a "band-aid" approach, the alternative being remove the whole ceiling and start over.

Old 01-06-01, 08:51 AM
Sounds like there might be a moisture problem. I've worked in the accoustic field (ceiling tiles-all types) and a normal dry tile could be held up by just one screw (weight wise). Moisture makes the tiles heavier and also causes the fibers that make up the tile to loosen and lose strength. If everything is dry and sound, staples, or the "Liquid nails should work fine.