Adjusting vintage Yale model YP door closer

Old 10-13-11, 02:34 PM
Adjusting vintage Yale model YP door closer

Hi everyone! I work at a community center where one of our front doors swings shut too fast and hard. One of these days the glass is going to shatter and it's not safe for the children (or adults, for that matter) who visit our center daily. Our door closer is a vintage (antique?) Yale door closer, on the side it says "Model YP 1932 no.74".

My question is, how do I adjust the hydraulics on this closer so that it doesn't shut so hard? There's a screw-type thing jutting out the side of it on the right side, my instinct would be to adjust that, but it's a little rusty and I don't want to force anything in case I'm wrong. Does anyone have experience with this type of door closer?

I've uploaded a photo here in case it would be helpful:

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/...ken/IMG007.jpg

Thanks!
Alex

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-11, 03:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Turning that screw in may slow it down some, but with the age of the closer, it may have bad seals or rings. Let us know how it goes with a turn of the screw. Others with more knowledge of this type closer will be along shortly, so hang in there. I've got two of these under my workbench I took off an old building at church we were demolishing.
Oh, welcome to the forums!

Old 10-13-11, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the response, chandler! I tried to tighten the screw but it seems that it's as tight as it can possibly go. I was able to loosen it but not tighten it any further than it already was. I guess it won't be as quick a fix as I was hoping!

Old 10-20-11, 04:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sorry for the delay, been out of town. With age, as stated, it could be time for a euology and replacement. Good luck with the community center.

Old 10-20-11, 07:18 AM
hello to akaiken and chandler, nice old yale shown,

thanks for the picture to show your closer.

chandler: when one of these old ones dont operate properly, it dont always mean it has to be replaced with a new closer, posible Akaiken wants to keep the character this one gives his building.

sounds to me that over the years the oil in this one may have been drained out and not any oil put back in, there is another thread of mine on here (i think so) explaining how to change or fill an old (traditional style) closer with more oil.

ekeika, there is places (many in the united states) that rebuild these closers, one i know of is called new england door closer, and one in canada i know of is called acme doorway technical solutions (its a locksmith, who repairs and rebuilds closers)

akaiken, its not a total loss, to find it easier (how to put oil in these old closers, try googling my nickname, as many times i do sign my public blog post comments with "jess the door closer doctor" find one called 1921 sargent door closer restored (wordpress) that one has a long comment from me explaining how to change the oil, another is seenobjects.org and search for "dusty door closer" there too i commented about how to change oil

chandler, i know you mean well with getting this one fixed (before i seen it) i dont think this one is a total loss. nice to hear from you again chandler, keep in touch

akaiken, you too, please keep me up to date about your yale YR?? thanks

-Jess the door closer doctor

Old 11-14-11, 07:47 PM
A little update: I found out what the problem is when I took the unit down to look at it more closely - it turns out that the arm is not positioned properly and the closer doesn't transition from "closing mode" into "slowing the door down mode" until the door would be past closed. I have to adjust the arm, it's at 90 degrees when the door is closed and in resting position, I need the arm to be at 45 degrees and in "slowing the door down mode" when the door's closed, if that makes any sense.

Basically the problem is the door close never slows the door down, it just forces the door closed until it slams. The arm positioning doesn't allow the closer to slow the door down because it only does that if the door were to swing past it's closing point.