Proper Flooring Nailer for the Job?

Old 01-28-12, 02:46 PM
Proper Flooring Nailer for the Job?

Hereís my situation: Just this last fall I had my wrap around, covered, tongue and groove porch reframed. (It was over 100 years old, and really needed the work done.) Now before I let them at it I removed all the original T&G deck boards and put them aside. At the moment I am (slowly) knocking out the nails and planning the paint off the top. I plan to give everything a good coat of oil based exterior primer and paint, and then put the boards back down one at a time.

This is going to be slow going because itís winter, and thus freezing outside. Plus Iím not the fastest worker in the world. Still, I want to be able to use my front door without walking over a 4x8 sheet of plywood. It will be slow going, but Iíll (eventually) get the job done.

Assuming I have the right tools that is. Which is where I need a bit of help. I do not currently own a floor nailer. And renting is out of the question at the rate Iím expecting to work. If I were knocking everything out in a day or two, it would be a different story. And in any case, Iím expecting to do some interior flooring in the house in another year or two, so a decent floor nailer is probably a good investment.

Iím currently looking at refurbished Bostich manual nailers on Amazon at the moment. Normally Iíd buy new, but even with future projects I only have a few hundred square feet total, and a refurbished unit fits nicely in my price range. Iíve been looking at these to at the moment:

http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Recond...7788388&sr=8-1

Amazon.com: Bostitch MFN200 Manual Flooring Cleat Nailer: Home Improvement

These us L-cleats. But Iíve also seen some that use staples. Iím not really clear on which is better for what installations. Iím also assuming that I need galvanized staples/cleats for my porch, but Iím not sure if all of the same sized staples/cleats are compatible across brands.

In short, Iím pretty much clueless on these particular tools. I just want to make sure I get the right tool for the jobs Iím trying to accomplish. Anyone have any advice?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-12, 01:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I prefer a stapler, but to each his own. Others like cleats. I know buying a recon is cheaper than new, but how do you know it wasn't used in a rental store. Our local rental store can't keep Bostitch stapler/nailers available. They are always in the shop. There is a lot of wear to consider. A manual flooring cleat nailer will wear out your arms and anyone watching you You definitely want an air powered nailer. If this is the only job you are doing, check online via one of the auction sites and buy an air nailer/stapler of an off brand. They will be much cheaper and you can resell it when you are through.