Question re: Concrete Screws and lead anchors?

Old 01-29-12, 06:50 AM
Question re: Concrete Screws and lead anchors?

I am installing Container store Elfa Shelving with brackets. My walls are cement. Container Store gave me concrete screws but I am concerned they might not be strong enough, and what if the
concrete crumbles? My other option is to use a lead anchors. I
went to the hard ware store and they matched my 2 1/4 screws
with 1 1/2 inch anchors. Is that correct? Shouldn't it be the length
of the screw? I am a newbie DIY- sorry the questions are a bit simple.
Trying to get a handle on this tonight before I head back to the hardware store.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-12, 09:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Tapcons work amazingly well, but you must use their bit to make them fit properly. Lead anchors work great, too. Don't forget the thickness of the application and subtract that from your anchor length. That is probably what was done at the hardware store. Basically thickness of application plus at least that thickness again, plus a little for the fastener. It appears you have a 3/4" backing on the units.

Old 01-29-12, 11:18 AM
Thanks, but I am struggling!

My cement is too crumbly, so I am using the lead anchors. My first hole was huge, because even though the screw length was good, the anchor wouldn't fit in and until I hit the point of no return- a really huge hole. I filled it with some spackling and stuck the anchor in there. It's the middle hole so hopefully my mistakes won't hold me back.

My second hole is better but there is still extra room around the anchor. Should I fill it with epoxy later? What a disaster I am.

I still have one more hole to go and don't expect it to be any better. I am sure I am drilling improperly. Maybe I have the wrong drill bit, but the hardware store said it was right. Once I have drilled through to the correct length of the screw, the anchor goes in but only about 1/4" and then I am trying to make it fit by going back in.

My big question now is what is best to fill the extra space around the anchor? Thank you.

Old 01-29-12, 12:38 PM
Drilling in Concrete

Are you using a hammer drill with a masonry bit? You need this combination so that it will drill fast and not make the hole too much bigger than the bit.

Old 01-29-12, 12:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are your walls concrete block or concrete monolith??? A monolith shouldn't be "crumbling". As Ken said, a hammer drill with a good masonry bit is a must.