Toilet seat screws rusted

Old 01-15-01, 08:31 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry

I am trying to change a toilet seat in my new home. It is not a new home, it is 30 years old, but it is new to me. The previous owner was there for 7 years and it looks like the toilet seat has been there for 7 years.
The seat has metal screws and they are rusted. One of them won't turn, the other one turns but doesn't get unscrewed. It keeps turning in place.
Also, the heads are getting stripped. Are there any tricks or techniques to remove these screws?

Thanks.

-sridhar

Old 01-18-01, 04:35 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Start with a good penetrating oil (see tips and techniques forum for some ideas). Let the penetrating oil soak overnight.

Possibly the best you can hope for is to get the nuts on the bolts, unscrewed far enough to use a hack saw to cut through the bolts, between the nut and the bottom of the toilet. For the bolt that is turning, I'd recommend using vise grips or pliers to hold the bolt below the nut, to unscrew the nut. This will mess up the threads, and necessitate cutting the bolt, as recommended above.

Another possibility for cutting the bolt is a Dremel with a cutting disk if you have one (wear safety glasses).

When you replace the toilet seat, go with one with either plastic or brass hardware. If you need more help, post back.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: