Installing a new Towel Bar

Old 04-05-12, 07:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing a new Towel Bar

Hi, I am new to this board. I am giving my bathroom a makeover. Got everything done except installing the towl bar. I thought this was going to be a very simple thing. Take old one off put up the new one. Well, I removed the old one and found out that on one end it was fine, I could screw the new end on but at the other end there is metal behind the ceramic tile as the heater is below it. I can't screw through it and the hole is pretty wide. I did try to fill the hole with cement but the cement would not dry, even after 3 days it was still wet. I need to get this bar up by Saturday, can I use liquid nails to get this one end up? Do I need to fill the hole with something else to get the screws in?
Help! I have no place to hang a towel in my bathroom!
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-12, 10:22 AM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I can't quite visualize what you are saying. Did the old screw go through the metal? I'm thinking that either plastic screw anchors or expanding screw anchors would be your best bet.
Both available at any hardware or big box store.

Old 04-05-12, 10:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
the cement would not dry, even after 3 days
What kind of cement? Is the metal part of the heater? Was the previous bar screwed in to the metal? or did the hole come from removing the bar? A pic might be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 04-05-12, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing a Towel Bar

Thank you for responding Marksr and Goldstar. The screws did not go through this sheet of metal before and I suspect that the metal it is part of the heater because of it's location (right above the radiator). (Unfortunately, I don't have the means to provide pictures.)
The left hole is not over the radiator and I can easily put that end up. The right side is over the radiator and the hole was created from the previous bar but this new towel bar's screws would not fit. That is when I grabbed whatever cement that was in the garage and trierd to fill the hole so could create a new area to put the screws in.
My guess is that I should not go through this metal but should try the expanding screw anchors.
Thanks again for you help!