Wooden Deck Leg Fasteners

Old 05-15-12, 05:40 PM
Wooden Deck Leg Fasteners

Hi,

I've made a 4'x4' wooden deck out of 2"x6" boards and I want to attach 4' 4"x4" legs to the inner corners.

- What size/type and how many bolts should I use?
- Do I pre-drill a hole slightly smaller than my bolt or the same size?
- Is there anything else I haven't considered that I need to know about?

I'll be doing the same thing with a 4'x10' deck in the next few weeks. Would I use the same fastening method for that deck as well?

Thanks,
zp.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-12, 03:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Why not carry your 4x4's on through to form newel posts for your handrail. Using an 8' 4x4, you can achieve support and handrail at the same time and it will be rock solid. If you only have a single band on the small decklet, then use 5 1/2" or 6" carriage bolts 1/2". In the corners use two in one direction and one in the other direction between the other two. That way you are tying it all together.
How high is this deck off the ground? How high will your 4x10 be off the ground? Your local code may differ, but if less than 36" you may not be required to have handrails.
More importantly than how you attach the 4x4's to the deck is how you are treating the support end. You are pouring footings the depth of your frost line 12" wide, right? You are using Simpson Strongtie post bases to attach the posts and keep them out of the water, right?

Old 05-16-12, 06:46 AM
Hey, thanks for the reply.

The decking is actually just going to support an outdoor aquaponics system. The 4'x4' deck will be holding a 275 gallon fish tank and the 10'x4' deck will be holding three 100-gallon grow-beds filled with expanded shale or river rock.

I had planned using 4' legs and just burying them 1.5' in the ground (no cement) leaving both decks 2.5' off the ground.

Thanks,
zp.

Old 05-16-12, 01:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
As long as you can resign yourself to lesser longevity of the posts themselves, then you won't have a problem, until they rot out. If the ground is reasonably level, you may even get by using dek blocks for support, since it will not be that large and will not have traffic on it. You're in Texas, too, so your frost line is not that deep.
dek blocks will keep the wood off the ground and will lengthen the lifespan of the deck.

Old 05-18-12, 08:47 AM
Thanks again for your reply.

I will consider using the dek blocks.

zp.