will my squealing electric chair

Old 06-08-12, 05:52 PM
will my squealing electric chair

I make a big ruckus when I expand or retract the expansion arm on my hydraulic actuator in this electric power wheelchair I am stuck in.I have been formally educated before I was hurt and I know that WD-40 does not wor,because it might eat away at the seals. Any other suggestions? I am not sure if lithium grease I could spray on the rock or not

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-12, 06:37 PM
Group Moderator
Your should a lube that is not petroleum based (petroleum distillates) which WD-40 is. There a few out there and one that comes to mind is a product called "Super Lube". It can be a little harder to find but I see it in auto part stores. It comes in a spray can similar to WD and I have used it and it with good results. I used it in my paintball guns for the same reason you mention, it won't attack the rubber seals.

I am sure there are other spray lubes out there that are not petroleum based, just be sure to check the label ingredients.

Old 06-13-12, 12:13 PM
tempcrip,

this actuator on the powerchair, is it used often?? is it for tilting the seat back? legrests?? is brand of powerchair known??

im asking due to squeaking and squealing can be due to the mounts needing to be lubricated instead of the hydraulic pistons, (this happens with car shocks at times, and can happen with anything with rubber grommits)

squealing also can indicate the need for more hydraulic fluid in the pistons, if this is a legrest actuator, have you tried disconnecting one of the ends of it and pressing the button on the joystick control to see if it still makes the noise??

if still making noise, it may be needing more fluid, and best for this is to have the wheelchair/DME dealer come and replace it or have them service the effected actuators.

hope this helps some,

-Jess the door closer doctor

Old 07-09-12, 09:35 AM
thank you for your great help!