Is there a door lock to use without drilling holes?

Old 07-11-12, 05:03 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is there a door lock to use without drilling holes?

I'm moving into a share house and when I'm not home want to be able to lock my bedroom. I can't drill or ruin door is there anything I can use to stop my other house mates going in my room?
ive seen the Howsar portable door lock but that is for the inside when you are inside the room

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-12, 05:39 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 627 Posts
Just do an online search for "temporary door lock". Here is the first one I found.

Old 07-11-12, 05:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 57 Votes on 47 Posts
Not sure that one would work, either, as it shows it being installed on the inside. I'm not sure you can find anything to do what you want, but you could, of course, slow people down a bit from entering simply by locking the door as you exit and then unlocking it using a small screwdriver through the emergency unlock hole (if that's what it's called ) in the center of the outside knob.

Alternately (key & lock experts jump in here anytime) you might be able to get a keyed lockset and install it in place of the standard interior door style knob setup. BUT I make no assurances this is in keeping with codes; you wouldn't want to somehow get locked in your own bedroom during a fire.

Old 07-11-12, 06:21 AM
P
Group Moderator
Oops, I forgot that most bedroom door open into the room.

I found this one that says it works with both in and out swing doors though it's a bit pricey.

And another, similar approach in this video. I haven't searched to see how much it costs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8venFHESjMw

Old 07-11-12, 06:42 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
A lot of the tenants in our units who are sharing the place with others replace the privacy knob on their bedroom door with a keyed entrance knob.

Old 07-11-12, 06:45 AM
P
Group Moderator
No, that's to easy and inexpensive.

Old 07-11-12, 01:09 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
That's what I said our tenants often do.

Old 07-11-12, 01:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Actually that's what I've done to our bedroom door. While I don't care to go to sleep with all the doors/windows open, my wife needs for every door and window to be locked. For some reason she feels safer with a keyed lock on the bedroom door.

Old 07-11-12, 02:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Mark, she afraid the goat will come in the house through an opened screen

Old 07-11-12, 02:25 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Just looked out the window - a doe and 2 fawn about 30' away. Not sure why the dog hasn't scared them off. One fawn is jumping up and down in a circle.

Anyway, my wife isn't too scared of the goat since he's contained by a fence. She's more concerned with bear, snakes and burglars [not that any would hike up to the top of the hill] She saw a black snake at work the other day and wanted to know if it could have hitched a ride in her car.

The jumping fawn just bounced into the side of his mama, made her jump. Now there is a buck in the yard but the doe is running him off. The rain has been aggravating today but the view out the window sure is neat. Bet if I went and got the camera they'd all disappear

Old 07-11-12, 02:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 57 Votes on 47 Posts
I was wondering which side of the locked door Mark gets to sleep on.

Old 07-11-12, 05:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Yeah, I've got "warnings" coming up my driveway............."Private Drive" signs. One way in and one way out, so you gotta be dim witted to get caught too far up without a reason. DirecTV van came up yesterday. We were working in the shop on cabinets. Chased him down with the ZTR. Lost. Made 3 wrong turns on his way up.