Lock a Mirrored Medicine Cabinet

Old 07-27-12, 04:17 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Lock a Mirrored Medicine Cabinet

I am needing to lock a mirrored medicine cabinet. Doesn't have to be with a key, just something so the state can consider it childproofed. It has 3 mirrored doors side by side so it has the appearance of one larger mirror, with a one inch trim around the outside edge. The cabinet just hangs on the wall, so there is room between the door and the wall behind it on the sides and bottom. All three doors would have to be locked. Ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-12, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
You'll have to see what they say is ok...but I would go with adhesive plastic loops or tie wrap mounts with heavy tiewraps and a small padlock or one of those childproof cabinet locks in place of the padlock.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2243[/ATTACH]

I'm assuming looks are not important....

Attached Images  
Old 07-29-12, 09:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I would be reluctant to use a "medicine cabinet" to store medicines in a day care situation. I would provide a separate locked "safe" or other non movable unit to store them in either in an office or other non populated area. Replace your current medicine cabinet with a flat mirror.

Old 07-30-12, 08:42 AM
D
Thanks for the idea and although I think it would work, and I may not be totally understanding it, but I would love to find a way for the things inside to be a little more accessible to me. And as for replacing the cabinet with a mirror, I really would like to use the space to store "Keep out of reach of children" items. (I have all of the medication in a locked box.) Any other ideas?

Old 07-30-12, 10:11 AM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
By the name that you use, I have to assume that you are operating a daycare business from your home.

Do you only have this one bathroom available? If you have an alternate restroom(s) for the children, then lock your bathroom door. Not a big deal to change the knob set to a keyed lock.

Old 07-30-12, 10:50 AM
D
Thank you! Why had I not thought of this before?

Old 08-09-12, 12:35 PM
M
I used a magnetic lock on a cabinet before. Was a child proofing item, but basically a latching mechinism and a catch are mounted behind the caninet door. Then a small know with a magnet imbedded would be used to open the lock thru the door. Worked great. And the lock was out of sight so no worries about appearance.