Name:  pappy1.jpg
Views: 1266
Size:  39.7 KBName:  pappy2.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  43.5 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-12, 01:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! If all you broke was the handle guard, yes. I would try to remove the guard and see what the actual handle looks like. If it is cracked, then it's time for a replacement. Replacement handle guards can be purchased separately, and add more protection for that vulnerable area where bifocals and regular lenses meet Been there.

Old 08-14-12, 04:17 PM
Group Moderator
I would question the 1/4" gap that has opened up... it almost appears as if the head has slid upward in relation to the rest of the handle, so as Chandler said, a closer examination might be necessary.

If you hold the head upright and smack the butt of the handle as hard as you can against a solid surface a few times, and that 1/4" gap gets tighter, I'd say your head is coming loose.

Of course, being the cheapskate that I am, I'd probably set the sledgehammer on its head, get a small tube of 5 minute epoxy (the 2 part kind in the syringe... about $5) and I'd try and fill that handle up with epoxy. Maybe put some tape around the crack... drill an injection hole and keep squirting it in until its full.

Old 08-14-12, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator
No, IMO it's not safe.
The part that is broken makes up some of the handle's strength.
As cheap as a mew one is the replacement cost is not worth bonking you or someone else on the head or being impaled by a shard of fiberglass.

Old 08-14-12, 06:47 PM
lots to consider, thanks!