Framing Screws

Old 08-21-12, 12:59 PM
Framing Screws

What type of framing screws do they use on Holmes on Homes and are these screws sufficient for load bearing applications? Also, what is the name of the type of screw gun they use that makes that ratcheting sound?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-12, 01:07 PM
Group Moderator
Never watched the show so I can't comment on the screws but are they using an impact driver to put them in?

Attached Images  
Old 08-21-12, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator
Mitch

Yes....they use impact drivers. When the show first started they used drills. Except for roofing and trim work, I've only seen them use nails and nail guns on the two shows they did in the US. One was in CA and the other in LA...I think that's because screws weren't approved at the time. I think they still aren't in earthquake country? Saw an article a while back that showed a simple redesign of a framing nail (something about twists near the head or similar) would increase its pullout strength by a factor of 5? Perfect for hurricane country.

mossman...here's all you'll need to know about different framing screws. Be advised...they still may not be acceptable for your local inspectors. Not sure what code says about them.

RSS LTF Timber Frame Fastener - GRK Fasteners - The Industry's Toughest Screws

Old 08-21-12, 02:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The impact driver mitch17 refers to is for lug nuts, lag bolts, etc, and will accept sockets. What you hear them use is one like this. I have a couple and would not do with out them. Absolutely fantastic.

Attachment 2790

Old 08-21-12, 04:02 PM
Group Moderator
I'm guessing they are using GRK torx screws. I think Gunguy linked to them.

Old 08-22-12, 04:55 PM
Thanks everyone! Mitch, you've never seen Holmes on Homes!? You're missin out man. Tune in to HGTV on Sunday evenings at 9pm (or maybe 10).

Old 08-22-12, 05:43 PM
Group Moderator
Just clicked on Gunguy's link. I think the ones they use are the GRK R4's. #9 x 2 3/4 or #9 x 3 1/8.

Old 08-23-12, 06:42 AM
Group Moderator
Honestly, I hardly ever turn on HGTV but I really don't watch much TV in the first place. It's Thursday morning now and I haven't had the TV on since the NASCAR race Sunday.

Old 08-23-12, 09:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
..... so you missed the 2 races last night? The lap 3 crash in the modified race was one of the craziest pile ups I've ever seen. I don't watch much HGTV either but Holmes is one of the few shows on there that I will watch if I'm in the mood/have the time.

Old 08-23-12, 10:33 AM
Group Moderator
Yep, I missed the races last night.

I guess I need to put watching Holmes on Homes on my to-do list.

Old 08-23-12, 01:54 PM
Does anyone know if the building code has been changed to allow the use of screws in structural framing? The last time I checked it had not and the local inspector would not accept them. That was several years ago. If I were a framing contractor I'm not sure I would want to use screws. Time and cost would be a factor.

I'm probably the only non Holmes fan in the world. I think the guy is one giant ego in bgib overalls and a wife beater undershirt. I gave up watching when I saw him rip up a concrete slab because he had a hunch that it wasn't to code. He was wrong.

Much of the stuff he does never considers cost. He might pay lip service to cost but typically he'll do a 50K fix for a 20K problem and then beat his chest when it's finished. A real world contractor couldn't survive like that.

Old 08-23-12, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator
Wayne.....I agree to some extent....but....

The thing is...when he fixes something.....it really is above and beyond code. Wouldn't you do the same if it was your project?

The older shows did indeed show a lot of unneeded destruction. Now he gets experts in to do coring and scope testing before a complete rip out.

He's not a real world contractor any more...but he used to be. You and I both know it normally costs more to fix someone elses work than it does to do it correctly the first time. Low bid is not the best bid...right?

Sure...he has an ego......but so does anyone who is dedicated to their trade.

Old 08-29-12, 12:58 PM
I really don't see a lot of screws for this. The SPAX that are sold as "construction screws" do not, that I can tell, advertise shear strength and thus I assume cannot be used in a shear loading environment.

Those ones listed above look pretty good. There are some additional structural screws that exist such as heavy duty lag screws, Timberlok screws, the Simpson Strong Tie connector-approved screws (can use instead of nails).

None of those seem really practical for framing, though except for those GRK ones.

I did basically all my basement framing with deck screws, but all they're responsible for is basically holding the wall together without real loading forces. I know that their shear strength is much lower than a nail.

Old 08-29-12, 02:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Screws don't generally have the shear strength as nails because they are brittle. Of course having said that, I'd rather have the holding capability of a screw than a slick nail. Toss up. Framing, as in house, would be too expensive to use screws, both in screw cost and labor cost. Framing nailers are too fast and the nails do their job. I even use a StrapShot nailer in 1 1/2 and 2 1/2" HDG #10 joist hanger nails. Again for labor cost savings. I can pay a helper to hammer them in one at a time taking forever, or use the nailer and nail 6 nails in 6 seconds. Now, Floriduh has restrictions which don't allow clipped head nails. Only full round head. I have never in over 20 years had or even heard of a clipped head nail failure (except trying to extract one and the head breaks off If I don't screw down decking with decking torx screws, I use full round head nails which are HDG (different nailer). I do not use Bostitch "galvanized" nails outside. Their galvanization is electroplated and not HDG.

Old 08-29-12, 04:07 PM
I like Mike Holmes quite a bit, but I don't think he needs to tear as much out as he does. But his show isn't about how to make money as a contractor. He also has the budget to go as far as he does.