mounting a TV on/in a wood fireplace mantel...?

Old 08-23-12, 04:45 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
mounting a TV on/in a wood fireplace mantel...?

Hi,

We just bought a TV for our fireplace mantel.

What should we be setting up behind our mantel to make it sturdy enough for the TV mounting to hold?

The 42inch TV fits nice and snug in the mantel (it's inset) with not much room to breath...a 37 or 40 inch may have allowed us to use the stand but we're planning on mounting it to the mantel and wanted the bigger tv.

Problem is, the mantel is...not exactly TV mounting worthy. The wood doesn't feel thick enough to hold the TV...

We can get in behind the mantel through a door at the side (it's a gas fireplace).

So...back to the question...how do we reinforce in the back (add a couple of 2x4?) to make it so that we can put this up...how thick does the wood need to be to support the TV?

Thanks for any direction!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-12, 05:02 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have to admit I have never had to mount a tv on the wall as we have ours on our entertainment center where our old tvs were. I have seen them being put on the wall though numerous times on shows like This Old House and Hometime both of which by the way have websites and ways you can search for an answer after looking here. On all of the occasions I have seen them mount a tv the tv was mounted onto 2x4s. Of course all of that was done with the proper mounting brackets either made for that tv or as a separate item made by another company that worked. My best advice to you would be to use any templates that came with the bracket and drill small holes slowly through the wall so as to not damage anything and then look at the back with that door closed and bright lights on. If you feel there are not enough 2x4s then add some. Only time I think you might need something stronger would be if the tv was larger than that and extremely heavy. Good luck to you and welcome to the forum.

Old 08-23-12, 08:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! In most modern construction, there is a 2x12 mounted horizontally above the fireplace to accommodate the hanging of a TV.......not always, as yours may prove to be. Since you can look into the cavity, do you see any cross members above the mantel. If you can reach it, I would mount a 2x12 against the sheetrock between the studs. If you have a centered stud, then mount one on either side of the studs in the bays. Then you will have sufficient holding power for almost anything.
Now, to plan B. If you can't mount anything behind the TV area, you can always mount a 1/2" panel of plywood (about 12" high) 32" wide across 3 studs, externally. You can paint the plywood to match the wall.

Old 08-24-12, 05:21 AM
N
Received 18 Votes on 16 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I've mounted a few tvs now between my old house and now this one.
Our living room TV (42" as well) is mounted above where our fireplace should be (previous owner had an electric fireplace here).
I always look for studs when mounting TVs. Most TV mounts have multiple holes and slots to allow for different screw locations. I don't want to mess around with a 30-50lb TV, so I always run my lag bolts into the studs.

Now re-reading you post, it sounds like you are mounting the TV inside the mantel?

One tip I will suggest for wall mounting TVs (besides having help lifting the TV), is to set the TV so that the middle is about eye level when sitting.
We had to mount living room TV higher to keep my 3yrs old from changing stations or TV inputs. It is not as comfortable to sit down and look up as it was at eye level. We'll be moving it down once we stops messing with it.