Double strike ball catch

Old 10-29-12, 06:14 PM
Group Moderator
Double strike ball catch

I have a customer that has some french doors to a closet instead of bifold doors. The top alines just fine but at the bottom to doors are not even. They are about 1/8" off face to face. They ordered these doors specifically not to have a catch on the bottom so that they can open either door alone (an issue they have on their existing doors), but as you can guess, with no catch they can then move with temperature and humidity.

I am first going to try to adjust the hinges somehow but I was wondering if anybody has seen a ball catch with a double sided strike?

My other thought was to install some rare earth magnets morticed in the door, but not touching, to help aline them.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-12, 07:06 PM
Group Moderator
Either the doors have warped or the jambs are a little racked. 1/8" isn't much. If you could move the bottom of each jamb just 1/16" it would probably fix it. A block of wood and a hammer will sometimes do it, but if the jambs are secured well, they won't move. (the jamb holding the protruding door needs to move in on bottom while the jamb holding the recessed door needs to move out on bottom). Moving the hinges slightly along with moving the door stop is another option.

They do make bullet ball catches that can go on the latching sides of the door to help with alignment. Search Amazon or Google for bullet catches.

Old 10-29-12, 07:30 PM
Group Moderator
I will try the hammer trick. Its kind of a goofy setup but it was what we had to do to get everything all in.

I did do some searching but only found a strike with the rounded on one side, not both. Likely this animal does not exist.

Old 10-31-12, 06:52 PM
Group Moderator
I shimmed the hinges a bit and got them pretty close. I think the humidity, or lack of it, is making them twist more. They are more like a 1/4" off. Now they are within 1/16"