Mounting TV on wood panel wall

Old 12-01-12, 02:37 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mounting TV on wood panel wall

I am about to receive a 50 inch, 35 pound flat screen TV, which I am going to mount on the wall. This wall is paneled with wood paneling that's probably a little thicker than 1/4". Does anyone think I would have a problem mounting on the wall where the studs are not?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-12, 02:47 PM
T
Correction: These wood panels are thicker than 1/2".

Old 12-01-12, 03:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Big difference. Most likely they are 3/8", though, to be honest. In any event, it is always better to mount things to studs. Not sure why you would not want to mount it where the studs "are". That size base will surely span 32".

Old 12-01-12, 03:25 PM
D
You want to mount to the studs. I don't know what type of paneling you have, or how it was installed, but it is most likely just nailed in place. I wouldn't trust the connection to hold the tv up.

Old 12-01-12, 03:55 PM
T
It's not that I want to mount the TV on a space where there are no studs. The problem is I'm having problems finding the studs with a stud finder, possibly because I'm using it on a wood wall?

Maybe I can find it on the wall behind this wall & figure it out. Thanks, I will give it a try.

Old 12-01-12, 04:17 PM

Being 1/2" thick.....is it sheet paneling or tongue and groove boards?

There may be horizontal strapping if it's boards.....that's why the stud-finder won't work.

If it's sheet goods.....then look carefully for the small heads of the finish nails.

Old 12-01-12, 06:51 PM
T
It's definitely tongue and groove boards.

So what does that mean? How will I be able to figure out where the studs are? I tried it along the other side of the wall in the next room & I also couldn't figure it out.

Old 12-01-12, 07:20 PM

If the boards are installed vertically.....then there is horizontal strapping underneath.

You can remove the baseboard.....there may be a hidden gap.

If so.....you might be able to see where the studs are from there.

Then you can use a level or plumb bob to mark the locations up on the wall.

If there is no gap.....you can drill a series of holes 2 inches up from the floor.

Use a 1/8" drill....you'll be able to tell when you hit a stud.

Find the 2 or 3 studs needed for the TV......the baseboard will cover all the holes.

Old 12-01-12, 09:27 PM
T
Uh, I normally pound on the wall with the bottom of my fist. If the wall gives or rings hollow then I know I'm between studs. If the wall doesn't give and thuds then I'm at a stud.

Also, most of the time, electrical boxes are nailed to the side of a stud. Find the nearest electrical box and see if you can figure out which side is nailed in, you might have to take the faceplate off, might even have to shut off the circuit to look inside. Once you know, count in 16" increments.

Old 12-01-12, 09:56 PM

If the wall is strapped.....then it's a little tougher to "listen" for studs.....

The idea for the outlet is good for locating that stud.....but be cautious.

You end up relying on the fact that they were actually installed 16" O.C.

With this TV I would want to mount it with screws in the middle of a stud.

Old 12-01-12, 10:47 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If there is an interior wall of Sheetrock on the other side you can check for studs there then measure to the same point on the other side.

I have found that in new construction often the framers don't own rulers and just eyeball it.

Old 12-02-12, 03:42 AM
The more information you give us, the better we can help. Sort of like "tongue & groove", not mentioned in the OP. Is it horizontal or vertical? In any event you can look at the top of each board and see where it was nailed. Nobody can hide them all No, your stud finder won't work through the t&g, as it is too dense.

Old 12-02-12, 07:58 AM
T
Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. So I got the TV up on the wall, but I'm very nervous about how I did it. I used Halton's advice of drilling holes in the bottom of the wall to find the studs, and I'm fairly certain I found them right (although they're not near where the outlet is, so maybe I didn't). The problem is that the mount is around 18 inches long but I think the studs are 24" apart. So the directions say to make sure you get at least 4 screws into studs but it's impossible in this case. I got the mount on the wall and it feels like it's on there extremely solid... but over time I'm concerned it will not hold.

Regarding details, sorry I did not provide more information initially. My house is over 80 years old, and this room was added 20 years ago. The wall I installed the TV on used to be an exterior wall before this room was added. The tongue and groove slats are vertical and actually measure a thickness of more than 3/4" - maybe that's why it seems like it's in there so solid. But I still don't feel comfortable just leaving it, based on the feedback I've gotten here.

Any additional thoughts?

Old 12-02-12, 09:10 AM
T
Unless the panels rattle and bounce when you pound on the wall, I wouldn't worry. 35# TV +15-20# mount is not a lot for a wall to support in shear. If it is an extended arm mount, that's a different story.

Old 12-02-12, 09:11 AM
D
How big were the screws you use to mount the bracket? Mine came with lag screws and that is what I used. If this was an exterior wall, there is a good chance you have exterior sheathing behind the wood paneling. I think if you hit one stud on one side of the cracket and hit sheathign on the other, you should be fine. What is your bracket like? Is it just a flat mount to the wall or does it have a swing arm that comes out? The TV is only 35 lbs. You are going to have a hard time getting two lag screws out of a stud with just 35 lbs.

Old 12-02-12, 10:57 AM
T
I used six 3" lag screws. So anyway the family decided it was mounted too high and stuck out too far off the wall because it has a swing arm (both were their decision!) so I had to take it down anyway and buy a flat mount. Starting over...

At the risk of looking like a complete dope, there is another piece of information I forgot to include. The wall on the other side of this wall is plaster and lathe - maybe this is why I can't figure out where the damn studs are. Given the information I've given about the wall and TV weight, let's say I don't hit any studs... do I need to worry? To be honest, when I pulled the first wall plate off the wall it seemed on there extremely strong. I don't want to do anything stupid but short of ripping off the wood slats I don't seem able to find a stud.

Old 12-02-12, 11:00 AM
I don't think you have much to worry about, like the others have said. You have a substantial wall, and since it was part of an exterior wall, it probably is on old style 24" centers. The only thing that doesn't change is "change" itself, so you are married??? Standard operating procedure.

Old 12-02-12, 11:01 AM
T
Also the flat mount I just bought is more like 28" long - the other one was 18" long - so even if the studs are 24" apart, if I can find them I should be able to get the screws into two of them.

Old 12-02-12, 11:04 AM
T
Thanks a lot Larry - yes, I am married so that always adds pressure to the situation. Last night my wife made me pull the TV off the wall until I can figure this out.

Ok thanks again to everyone for their help. I think I'm ready to get this up and be done with it! Enjoy the rest of your Sunday.

Old 12-02-12, 12:21 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Just to keep the honey-do inspector happy suspend a bag at either end and fill each with 35 pounds of stand then check the screws after twenty-four hours. You can then confidentially tell the honey-do inspector it passed a 200% load test.

Old 12-02-12, 07:37 PM
T
I like that idea Ray! I will probably just leave it alone. The flat mount went up much quicker and feels equally solid, so until it comes crashing to the ground I won't worry about it. Once again thanks to everyone.