Attaching cord to wooden pole

Old 12-03-12, 12:21 PM
Attaching cord to wooden pole

I want to attach some rayon type cord to a long wooden pole.

It will have to take some weight, so it has to be strong enough not to come apart.

If I can detach the cord easily, that would be fantastic (something like the simple clip you'd find on a multigym machine).

I was thinking of drilling a hole in the rod and, rather than tying a knot in the cord, attaching some sort of metal hook/clip through the hole with the rope attached to the clip via a sturdy knot.

Don't know where to find such a clip though!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-12, 12:31 PM
You don't say what size pole and cord you are using but I would put an eyehook or eyebolt on the pole and some sort of snap hook on the cord.

Old 12-03-12, 01:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Fill us in on what you are doing. That will help a lot. We can figure it out.

Old 12-03-12, 02:34 PM
I am making a tri-string bubble wand, but a bit bigger than normal. Basically, two poles of wood with cord connecting the two in a strainght line and another longer cord connecting the two poles in a loop.

Old 12-03-12, 02:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hey, I'm the one who asked I'm from the Deep South and aren't exposed a lot of stuff, so I have no idea what a tri-string bubble wand is. Certainly not from Star Wars, right? Do you have any pictures you can share with us on this? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Edit: OK, I googled it. We don't do much of that down here, but the S-biners are available at Home Depot, and if the pole is substantial enough, you could use small eye bolts to feed the string through. How large is the diameter of your proposed pole?

Old 12-03-12, 04:28 PM
You need to get an eye hook and put it into the end of the pole. Drill a pilot hole into the end grain of the pole to put your eye hook into. Then you can use quick releases like a carabiner.

Old 12-03-12, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator
Depending on how long the poles will be...might consider the grey electrical PVC conduit. Would need to use eyebolts with 2 nuts and snap hooks....

Wood doweling will only be available in short lengths (3-4 ft) until you go to 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 closet poles...and those might be a bit heavy.

Old 12-03-12, 06:08 PM

Check out your local boating/marine store.....you'll likely find what you're looking for.

They will have a variety of rope accessories and gadgets for any application.

One option for a rope loop would be to use something like this (see below)

Just combine it with a spring clip for easy removal from the eye hook on the pole.

Even Home Depot would have quite a choice too......the spring clip for sure.

Old 12-04-12, 12:14 AM
My poles will be 3-4 metres long. Actually, they are extendable fishing poles and the last extension is pretty thin. Not sure if I will get rid of the last extension as the whole contraption may be too long/heavy for easy use.

Another option could be to put a plastic 'cap' at the end of the pole (rather than drilling a hole) and attach the cord to the plastic cap.