Advice on screws for shelving

Old 12-30-12, 11:07 AM
Advice on screws for shelving

Hi,

I'm putting up some shelving in our garage for my wife to keep her potted plants on in the winter. She picked out some cast iron shelf brackets, and the 1" screws they came with will be worthless since I'm going through drywall to the wall studs.

The holes in the brackets are fairly small, and I'm hoping to not have to drill them out. In the various screws I've got on hand, I have dry wall screws, coated deck screws and regular zinc screws that all fit the bracket holes.

There won't be a ton of weight on the shelves, and I plan to have a bracket every 16". On the other hand, some of her pots, with dirt and everything, are fairly heavy.

Maybe it doesn't make any difference, but I'm wondering if one type of screw would be better (stronger) than the others for something like this?

Thanks for your advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-12, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator
Not sheetrock/drywall screws, not strong enough at the head. Either regular wood screws...or as a second choice (last resort) the deck screws.

Old 12-30-12, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the quick reply! I figured the drywall screws were not a good choice, but I listed everything I had on hand. I'll go with the regular zinc screws.

Thanks again!

Old 12-30-12, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator
Make sure they penetrate into the stud at least the same length outside the stud. More is better. 3/4" outside the stud would require a minimum 3/4-1" into the stud. I'd try for 1 1/4" if you have them.