Hang heavy mirror above Fire Place

Old 01-06-13, 06:25 PM
Hang heavy mirror above Fire Place

Hi
[ATTACH=CONFIG]7567[/ATTACH]

I hope this is posted in the right place. I have a picture posted to help. The blue tape which is an incomplete square is where I want the mirror to hang.

I want to hang a mirror (about 50lbs) over a fireplace. The house is a new 2-story home built in 2004. The fire place is currently a gas fireplace; and I think it was always a gas fireplace.

I first used a small 1 inch nail and found that it went in easily the first 1/2 inch. Which is obviously the drywall. Then I had to use more force and the nail still went further. So then i decided to use a drill bit to see what kind of residue I get.

I drilled a hole using a 1/16 drill bit. It went 1 and 3/4 inch (close to 2 inches) and I stopped because I was still feeling resistance. I looked at the drill bit end, and it was white/powdery.

Now I am wondering what is behind the dry wall.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-13, 07:09 PM
Group Moderator
Since it will eventually be covered I'd use a chisel or knife to cut out a 2"X2" square of Sheetrock* in the center of where you are going to hang the mirror. That should allow you to see what you have.

*You can glue the square of Sheetrock back before hanging the mirror but as I wrote since it will be covered the patch isn't critical.

Last edited by ray2047; 01-07-13 at 05:24 AM.
Old 01-07-13, 10:54 AM
Thanks for your reply. What if I use J-Hooks?

Old 01-07-13, 12:10 PM
Group Moderator
But how would you fasten them?

Old 01-07-13, 02:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
J hooks as in Gorilla hooks? Depending on what you are hitting behind the sheetrock, they may not curve up and hit the sheetrock properly as designed. Will the mirror tilt down, or is it to be flat? If flat, why not glue it to the wall? Will it have a frame? Should have asked that first.

Old 01-07-13, 09:20 PM
I used 2 "Wall dog Self-drilling Picture Hangers" (50lbs each)

The mirror already has 2 D rings, and obviously a frame. Weight of mirror is 50lbs. I hung the mirror using the 2 wall dog self drilling picture hangers.

Amazon.com: The Hillman Group 122362 WallDog Self-Drilling picture Hangers with Hood, Chrome: Home Improvement

Old 01-08-13, 03:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You should be fine, since most of your weight is vertical anyway. Did you ever find out what was behind the sheetrock?

Old 01-08-13, 12:42 PM
No, I didn't check what was behind the Drywall since I found the Wall Dog Self Drilling hanger. But I will buy a good stud finder as a resource for future projects. I'm still curious as to what is behind the drywall.

Old 01-08-13, 01:43 PM
Group Moderator
Okay, no need to check whats underneath just use the H&H method... Hang'em&Hope.

Old 01-08-13, 02:30 PM
ha ha ha ha. Hang and hope; thats funny.
I hung the mirror last night. And it's held so far, so I'm good for now.

Old 01-08-13, 03:28 PM
Stalled out white and powdery just means you hit a metal beam with a drill bit meant for wood.

I'd get some metal bits and do this again, then fasten in anchor bolts through the metal using a tap screw first to set the thread.

A little work but some peace of mind especially with people walking around down below it!

Nice house by the way.

Old 01-09-13, 10:01 AM
I doubt it was metal. I wasn't using much force when drilling. I think the white powder was the drywall. I'm going to buy a stud finder and find out what it detects.