Jammed screws

Old 01-29-13, 06:29 AM
Jammed screws

I have a broken toilet seat that I need to replace, but the screws won't budge.
The toilet seat is of the type that has screws that drive into, not through, the toilet. So, it doesn't have any stopper beneath the toilet that I could maneuver.

Thinking that probably the screws have rusted, I've applied WD-40 and used the largest screw driver that Home Depot has, still nothing.

Is there anything that I can try before calling a $100-per-hour handyman? I'm thinking of buying an impact driver too, but I'm not sure if using an impact driver is a good idea on a fragile toilet.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-13, 07:13 AM
I would use a good penitrating oil like pblaster or similar. Soak it good and leave it sit for an hour or longer. Be sure to put something underneath to catch any drips. Apply a bit more oil a few minutes after the first application so that you truely saturate the area.
Take your time while doing this.

If it comes down to it, a new toilet is probably cheaper then a 2 hour visit from the handyman.

Old 01-29-13, 07:36 AM
WD-40 is not a penetrating oil and is a poor lubricant to boot. I would try using a penetrating oil like PB Blaster ot Liquid Wrench. If that doesn't loosen it up you could try drilling into the screw and either use an easy out or you can drill with successively larger bits until the threads collapse.

Old 02-06-13, 12:01 PM
Ok, I've had the jammed, rusty screws immersed in PB blast for days. One became loose, but the other still won't budge. Have I exhausted all measures that I can take? Time for handyman or toilet replacement?

The toilet I have is the following. Looks like many people have complained the same thing. Toilet seat screws that won't come off.

Rialto 1-Piece 1.6 GPF Round Front Toilet with French Curve Toilet Seat in White-K-3386-0 at The Home Depot

Old 02-06-13, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator
Since the seat is being replaced....how about a Dremel or hacksaw to carefully cut away the hinge parts, then clamp a pair of vise grips on the bolt? Might even be able to carefully use a torch if the hinges are plastic?

Even if the bowl cracks...I guess you are no worse off.

Oh...if plastic hinges...use a soldering iron to cut them apart?

Old 02-06-13, 12:20 PM
How old is the toilet?
Have you tried contacting the manufacture to see if they have a solution?
Definitely appears you are not the only one with problems.

Old 02-07-13, 09:34 AM
Too old. Warranty probably has expired, unless it's lifetime. Had this when we moved into this house.

When I first saw the design - the screws don't penetrate the porcelain and there is no clamp on the other side - I thought it was a very nice design. With the conventional through-screws, the clamp always gets loose somehow and you have to tighten them regularly. With this one, the seat is always in its place and never gets loose. Until I find a bigger downside....

I guess there is always a trade-off. Nextime, I'd rather have a toilet seat that I have to tighten once in a while rather than one that I can't replace at all.

Old 02-07-13, 09:36 AM
Group Moderator
If the toilet is old, I would consider replacing the whole thing with a new one, especially if it's old enough to be using more than the current standard of 1.6 gallons/flush.

Old 02-07-13, 10:26 AM
The link the OP provided (in post #4) was for a 1.6 GPF, so it's on par.
If hiring a handyman is a few hundred, it would be much more cost effective to replace it themselves.
As long as the water supply hose is ok, a toilet and a wax ring and go. When i checked the Canadian Big Orange (HD), you could pick up an American Standard (good brand from what I know), a wax ring and a box of beer for ~$300. Offer a friend a beer or two to help, and it'll be less then an hour's work.

Old 02-07-13, 10:39 AM
Group Moderator
Yep, you're right Mike, I missed that - thanks.

Off the top of my head, the American Standard Champion IV is the most recommended stool around here. The pros will quickly chime in and correct me if I'm wrong, as Mike did about the flow on your current stool