Bolt hardware needed?

Old 02-15-13, 02:57 AM
Bolt hardware needed?

I purchased some shelves that came with two bolts each. Apparently I'm supposed to get some sort of screw that I insert into the wall and attach the bolt to it, while the threaded end of the bolt is used to hold up the shelf. I have absolutely no idea what sort of screw to buy. The bolts have an indented cross cut and a hole in the middle at one end. I'm attaching pictures.

I stopped by my local hardware store and they told I'd need a screw, something 'metric,' that they didn't carry and was told to look online.

I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. The name of an item, a link, a description would be fantastic. I would love to see the shelves up on the wall at some point in the near future. Any help gratefully appreciated.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-13, 05:19 AM
Bolt

The top photo is out of focus. Is this piece of hardware threaded on the inside and is the top portion tapered to allow it to expand when the rod is screwed into it? If so, then perhaps this system is designed to be supported from a concrete ceiling.

Old 02-15-13, 06:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I haven't seen anything like that exactly, but if you Google for "Lead Shield Anchor" you'll see something similar that is usually used in concrete as an anchor.

If that's a metric threaded rod, you could probably replace it with a standard (US, non-metric type) threaded rod and appropriate anchor.

Is this one of those shelves that sort of slide over the mounting hardware and look like it's just floating on the wall?

Old 02-15-13, 08:08 AM
Group Moderator
You need to tell us what the wall is constructed of.
Masonry, sheet rock, none of the above.

Old 02-15-13, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator
The brand/model of shelving might be helpful as well. I know IKEA sometimes has some odd parts.

Old 02-15-13, 01:32 PM
More Info

• The bolt is only threaded on the end that attaches to the shelf, not on the end with the circle and cross cut.
  • It's supposed to be supported by the wall, not the ceiling.
  • The bolt ends are solid metal, there is no way for the top part (with the cross to expand or contract. I believe something is supposed to fit in it. I've tried using a screwdriver, the sides of the cross do not move.
  • I live in an apartment and the wall is undoubtedly thin dry wall with some wooden studs.
  • It's these shelves: Amazon.com: Wall Mount Shelf (Set of 2): Home & Kitchen

Old 02-15-13, 08:55 PM
Group Moderator
The cross piece on the end of the threaded rod is either supposed to go into the shelf or into a masonry wall. It looks like it's the type of anchor that when the bolt is threaded into it.....it expands.

Either way I don't see how that type of bolt will work for what you are doing.

Usually there is either a track that gets mounted to the wall and the shelf hangs off of that or
there are two keyhole slots in the shelf that slide on to the heads of screws.

Can you post a picture of the side of the shelf that attaches to the wall.

Old 02-16-13, 12:32 AM
Some more pictures

Alright, I'm including pictures of:
  • the instructions that came with the shelves
  • the inside of the shelf
  • more pictures of the 'bolts'
  • pictures of the bolts potentially connected to the shelves
  • Back of shelf

I'm actually not sure which side should be inserted into the shelf, I presume the threaded part should be in order to hold up the shelf's weight. That is what the picture vaguely implies.

I need to say again there is absolutely no way the top of the bolt can open up or be expanded. The head that has the circular hole and the cross cut into is absolutely not going to move under any circumstances. There is no threading inside the circular or cross cut area either.

I'm at the point where I will -gladly- buy replacement hardware much less additional hardware for these things. I cannot return them; it costs more to do so than they all cost.

Thank you to everyone for their feedback so far!

Attached Images       
Old 02-16-13, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator
Just guessing, but I bet if you measure the distance between the holes...it will be 16"....standard stud spacing.

You drill a hole in the stud slightly smaller than the nut thing. Tap it in flush to the wall, then thread the rod in and slide the shelf over the rod.

Shelf placement will depend on where your studs are. You will also need to be sure you are centered on the stud.

Old 02-16-13, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator
Well....I happened to be at HD looking for some anchors....guess what I found....

RED HEAD Anchor, Drop-In, 3/8-16, Pk 50 - Drop-In Anchors - 2G492|SRM-38 - Grainger Industrial Supply

These aren't exactly what I saw (no knurl at HD) but the one above is as close as you'd find.

As others have said, designed for concrete use.

Old 02-16-13, 06:06 PM
Group Moderator
In looking at those instructions.....those shelves were made for a very specific application. Even if those insert looking things were installed in the wall......where are the nuts for under the shelf ?

Do the two holes in the shelves measure 16" apart ?

Since you are mounting these in sheetrock you are going to need to catch the beams. I would
discard what they gave you and pickup two lag bolts per shelf or something similar. One issue I see is that the holes are drilled very close to the shelf bottom which is going to make it hard to get a ratchet on the lag bolts.

I would use either a hanger bolt or the type of lag bolts on the right with a washer head.

Attached Images   
Old 02-17-13, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator
I agree with PJ thats not what you need for your walls.....but I don't think the hanger or lag bolts will work either. The back lip of the shelf probably won't support the weight on it's own, thats why the rods are so long.

I'll bet when installed in masonry, the threaded rod you have is almost an interference fit under the shelf...as evidenced by the "drag" marks already present. They'll extend almost to the front of the shelf and hold it against the wall as well as support it.

Hate to say it....but looks like a pig in a poke to me. If they only cost what the Amazon link shows....I'd donate them and find something suitable...like the ones from IKEA.