Powder Actuated Nailer

Old 03-19-13, 07:05 AM
W
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
Powder Actuated Nailer

I would like opinions on a powder actuated nailer for the occasional user. Shopping at the blue store. Looking at Powers and Duo-Fast. The prices are about the same. Which is best?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-13, 08:01 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I have used a Remington that's often available for less then $25 and have been happy with it. Single shot and you "trigger it" by hitting it with a hammer but does a pretty good job.

Example: Ramset Hammer Shot 0.22 Caliber Single Shot Tool-00022 at The Home Depot

Old 03-19-13, 04:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I use a simple hammer hit Ramset. Have used the same gun for many years without a problem. Trigger models with multiple shot magazines are cute, but really unnecessary if all you are doing is putting down bottom plates in a basement.

Old 03-19-13, 04:50 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
I have the same unit as Ray. I haven't used it in years but when I did it worked fine. I strongly suggest that you use a construction adhesive in addition to the nails when fastening to concrete.

Also, the older the concrete the harder it becomes. You need to carefully select the nail length as they will only go in so far. Heavier "loads" ( the power bullets) won't help much if the nails are too long. Really old concrete may actually crumble rather than hold the nails. Test pieces are definitely necessary on old concrete.

Old 03-19-13, 05:05 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I've had the same cheapest I could buy powder nailer for years. I don't even remember the brand. I haven't used it for years. It's single shot, whack it with a hammer and orange. I never had a problem with it.

My suggestion, if you're not a pro the single shot cheapo will serve just fine.

Old 03-19-13, 05:11 PM
W
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
Nailer

Thanks, everyone for your suggestions.

Old 03-19-13, 05:28 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
One suggestion you need to wedge down the bottom stud plate or sometimes the nails will bend under the 2x4 instead of going into the concrete.

Old 03-19-13, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I'd like to say it depends on the use as well. In to regular concrete or block my .22 Remington single shot trigger model has always worked fine...even in to 100 y/o poured concrete. I think I got it as a display for about $25. I've used the hammer type and I think it's kind of a pain having to use one hand for the hammer...but it did the job. If you are shooting through steel...thats a different story from what I understand.

HEARING PROTECTION when used!

Old 03-19-13, 09:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
I have the same Remington single shot, and it has always done everything I ever wanted, even shooting blocking onto heavy gauge steel beams. You just need to get heavier shot loads for harder substrates. The only thing that is a pain in the neck is when you have to use it upside down. That's when I wish I had a Hilti that is more like a gun/trigger. (which is what the company has at work) When using the single shot upside down, you have to keep the spring compressed as you turn it upside down and then hope that it fires on your first smack... cuz if it doesn't the shot has usually fallen out inside the chamber and gets smashed if you hit is a 2nd time. -only complaint-

And i've learned to cope with that too. It's cheap and it gets the job done.