Extra long bungee cords that won't dry up or rot?

Old 04-07-13, 02:33 AM
Extra long bungee cords that won't dry up or rot?

I have 7 garbage cans in front of my house that need to be secured. I have an old wire fence behind the garbage cans that I can attach bungee cords to so that they don't keep falling down when they are empty.

I am having trouble determining how long a bungee cord I need to buy since the sizes listed are not for when the cord is stretched and they are packaged so tightly at the store most of the time.

Also, I'd like to know if there are bungee cords out there which can withstand rain and the sun. Mine fall apart within a few months.

I don't want to get too fancy or spend alot on this project. I need to be able to get at the garbage cans quickly as well and the bungee cords are very quick and easy to work with....if only they didn't fall apart so easy. I have to bring the garbage to the landfill in my area since there is no pickup. Convenience is therefore important to me.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-13, 05:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are tying off each can individually or as a group? Have you considered building an enclosure to keep them in?

Some bungee cords hold up better than others but none of them will last long term when continually exposed to the elements.

Old 04-07-13, 05:35 AM
Group Moderator
I have always used the 100% black rubber bungees, sold at our local True Value hardware store. They are sold individually, have an S-hook on each end, and they also have the length on the label. Since they are packaged individually, you could always take a tape measure with you and see how far they stretch. The rubber ones do loosen up a little more and stretch easier/farther once they get "broken in". I keep many on the ladder rack of the work truck (outside 100% of the time) and they are fine for years and years.

Old 04-07-13, 06:27 AM
Thank you for your posts. Don't know that I am motivated enough to build something to hold the bins in especially with so many other projects going on.

I am miles away from a True Value hardware store but get the idea.

I am trying to get the cords around as many bins as possible. I was able to get one cord around 4 bins if I pull extra hard. I am surprised at how quickly the cords rot away.

Old 04-07-13, 07:22 AM
Group Moderator
Instead of bungees, you could also get a ratchet strap, which would be adjustable in length. I picked up a couple for $8 each a while back when they were on sale. Heavy duty ones too!

image credit: mfrexpress dot com

Old 04-07-13, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator
I have lots of things secured with bungee cords and agree that the all rubber ones are good.

What might save you a lot of grief in figuring out which length to buy is to use a piece of braided weather resistant nylon rope for 3/4 of the distance you need to span and then use a bungee to make it tight.
You could remove one of the S hooks and tie the rope where the hook was.

This allows you to tie the rope to make the bungee stretch the right amount.
Generally the shorter the bungee the more tension will be on the rope.

Old 04-07-13, 09:28 PM
I have a set laying around...Harbor Freight usually has a good deal on them. The only thing is that I break them when towing vehicles around my yard after a few uses. Also, I forget how to use the buggers after not using them a few times....good idea though.

Old 04-07-13, 09:34 PM
This is a great idea....I think I will try this.