Bolt, flat washer and spring washer: what order?

Old 04-16-13, 03:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I wondered what a spring washer was - lock washer.

The instructions must have been printed wrong, the lock washer always goes on last, just under the nut.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-13, 03:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
More than likely there is a nut embedded in the table leg. That would make the instructions correct. The lock washer goes on first as it will be the closest to the nut.

Old 04-16-13, 04:31 AM
Bolt, flat washer and spring (lock) washer: what order?

I'm putting together a table and the directions say to put the bolt, then flat washer and then spring washer (lock washer), but the picture seems to show the spring/lock washer in the middle. Is there a 'standard' order that they should go in? Please note that there is no nut. There is a bolt and the two washers which go through a hole in the 'base' of the table, and screw directly into the table leg. There is no nut on the other side.

Here's a picture of what I'm referring to: http://i.imgur.com/vY8rX6J.jpg

You can see in the picture that the both the description and the picture say to do H1, H3, H4 (which is bolt, flat, spring/lock), but if you look closely at the picture, it seems that the spring/lock washer is really in the middle (between the bolt and flat washer).

Thanks for any help!

Old 04-16-13, 04:40 AM
Thanks for responding so quickly. I actually update my post to clarify that there is no nut. Just a bolt and the two washers, which screw directly into the table leg. There is no nut on the other side. Thanks again!

Old 04-16-13, 12:49 PM
The flat washer is to allow the head of the bolt to slip while tightening.

Old 04-16-13, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator
I'd go bolt, lockwasher, flat washer. Thats assuming the head of the bolt is large enough to mostly cover the lockwasher.

Likely the table is aluminum? The lock washer may gouge it badly while tightening. If it's wood...then absolutely the flat washer should contact the table leg.

Old 04-16-13, 01:45 PM
Thanks. Please note that nothing actually hits the table leg itself, it hits the rectangular-shaped 'base' of the table.

In other words, it's bolt, washer, washer, 'base', leg of the table. You can see what I mean here: http://s12.postimg.org/jy80fjfa5/image2.jpg

The leg is some sort of aluminum.

Old 04-16-13, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah...got it...but I still wouldn't install a lock washer where it could gouge into the softer metal of the table.

Looks like the bolt has a pretty large head (if the picture is accurate) and lock washers are made so that tightening them allows the bolt head to slide over the raised part. At least that's what the ones I have are made like.

Old 04-16-13, 02:59 PM
Thanks again. I will go ahead and install it as bolt, lock washer, flat washer.

Old 04-16-13, 04:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Maybe skip the lock washer and use some loctite