Coil roof nailer

Old 05-04-13, 05:31 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Coil roof nailer

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if a coil roof hammer will shoot coil framing nails. I have a craftsman 18180 coil roofing nailer that I want to use to secure some 5/8 plywood to a 2x6 tongue and groove subfloor to make a sturdy foundation for engineered hardwood. I want to use ringshank nails. I found 1 3/4 x .120 galvanized roof coil nails on line that I believe will work, but I would prefer using brite framing nail coils that come in ringshank. These have a smaller head. I don't want to buy a case of brites if my nailer won't shoot them. I prefer not using screws because I have 800 Sq/ft toput down. Not lazy just old and tired.[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 05-04-13, 06:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Roofing nailers are......well roofing nailers. Likewise are siding nailers. Two different animals. I doubt you will get siding nails to shoot in the roofing nailer. Buy or rent a framing nailer and shoot 2 3/8" ring shank nails. I know the length is overkill, but it will work just fine.

Old 05-04-13, 06:24 PM
W
That's what I thought. The 2 and 3/8 would show on the bottom of the 2x6's and since they make up the ceiling of the first floor that's not a good solution. This is a mountain home, so not standard construction. I think I will have to try the galvanized ringshank if you think they will work.

Old 05-05-13, 04:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
It helps to know all the criteria from the beginning. Galvanized ring shank will work just fine, if you can find them in the proper length so they don't protrude to the ceiling below. You want your fastener to be in more than half in the holding materials (in your case the 2x6's.) So 5/8 + 5/8 = 1 1/4", using a 1 3/4" fastener would work. Make sure they will work in your gun before you go spend money on a gazillion nails you can't use.

Old 05-05-13, 10:40 AM
W
Thanks for the help. I will do as you advise.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: