wall mounting hardware for huge stereo speaker

Old 05-14-13, 06:06 AM
wall mounting hardware for huge stereo speaker

Hi,

I live in a small NYC apartment and am trying to get my 70's-era stereo speakers off the floor. Each weighs 36 pounds and is approx 25 x 12 x 14.5. We have high ceilings, so my thought was to install a shelf on metal rails and brackets.

Unfortunately, building is over 100 years old (though interior walls are likely more recent) and walls are completely out of plumb. So an 18" rail (that's all the length I have, installation is on a soffit) is not lying flat against the wall. Have tried a plastic anchor and a lead anchor. Top screw goes in fine. Lower screw (about 6 inches from the bottom) pulls out when tightened (I think because the bottom part of the rail is not lying flat against the wall.)

I think the walls are plaster, though could be wallboard. Definitely a hollow space behind wall.

Job is too small for a contractor, and my super overcharges for terrible work. Short of replacing my lovely old speakers with bookshelf models, any ideas for making this happen?

Many thanks,
Kathy

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-13, 06:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Buy some end tables, or some speaker stands, seeing it's a rental I sure would not be putting any holes in those plaster walls.
I've seen where renters try this and the whole thing came down whole sections of walls with it.
Just Google speaker stand, hundreds of sites come up for some ideas.