storm door closer

Old 05-22-13, 05:31 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
storm door closer

I have a 30 year old combo storm screen door which had swelled. Now that I sanded it down to fit good , the pneumatic closer slams door shut. Put on new closer.... tried many times adjusting screw .... same thing.

Question....... Will pulling out the arm further & locking ......then change position on door bracket help ? Or any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 05-22-13, 05:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You can't adjust the closure by the adjustment screw on the end of the closer?? Maybe posting a couple of pix on here would give us an idea as to the next course of action would be.

Old 05-22-13, 06:19 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Did you re-install the old closure or did you install a new one when you made the upgrades?

Old 05-22-13, 08:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 792 Votes on 729 Posts
when the door is closed, and you disconnect the closure from the pivot arm... you should only have to pull the closure 1/8 to 1/4" in order to reconnect it. and the pivot arm which is mounted to the jamb should be mounted 1/4" away from the edge of the door... in other words 1/4" toward the interior of the house... any farther and it puts increasing tension on the door, making it hard to push open, which tends to make the door slam closed. Adjust the way the closure attaches to the door if any of that is different.

Once it is connected properly, turning the adjustment screw in will slow the travel. it should have 2 speeds... closing and latching.

Old 05-23-13, 10:11 AM
B
Thank you for responding............ I have tried adjustment screw . The door will speed up or slow down until the last two inches or so ..... then it slams shut. No matter how far in or out the screw is. I will work on the picture.

Old 05-23-13, 10:13 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 752 Votes on 691 Posts
That is how door closers like that are designed to operate. The fast movement for the last couple inches is to insure that the door closes securely and engages the latch.

Old 05-23-13, 10:14 AM
B
I first used the old hardware with a new closure. When that didn't work I bought a different brand & changed the door bracket. Same result's.

Old 05-23-13, 10:20 AM
Heavier doors require 2 closers - one at the bottom and a second one at the top of the door. Could be that you door has taken on so much moisture that it now qualifies for the 2nd unit. You did say the door has swollen in your original post.

Old 05-23-13, 10:32 AM
B
My frustration is that the door was installed along with the hardware many year's ago by a carpenter & all worked well until it swelled & would not close. That's when I sanded the hinge side . The door then fit , but the slamming started. Thinking the plunger was shot ...replaced it per your comment & still slam's. That is why I was going to try moving the arm out further ....but wanted some advice first.

Old 05-23-13, 10:41 AM
You should be able to turn the screw such that the door hangs up and doesn't close at all. You then back off in small increments until you reach harmony. I have gotten double closure doors to work on a single closer. Did one for a wheelchair bound client. Put one of the closers with the button on it that holds the door open. She could push the door out with her chair, use her grabber stick to push the button and the door would stay open for her on her return from errands. The main door operates on an electronic opener operated from a key fob.

Old 05-23-13, 10:56 AM
B
I will try the two closure's if all else fail's. Was going to try the middle , thinking it might be better balance. But have small grandchildren.

Old 05-23-13, 11:03 AM
B
Let me see if I understand you........ Do I push the door all the way open ..... turn the screw in until door stay's open ?

Old 05-23-13, 11:55 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 752 Votes on 691 Posts
If I understand correctly your problem is not the door closing. You mentioned that you don't like the way the closer lets go the last couple inches making the door slam.

Old 05-23-13, 12:43 PM
I usually do it with the door almost all the way closed. Turn the screw on the end of the closer all the way to the right. Then throw the door open like you were normally use it and let go. It should hang up before closing and come to a stop ajar. Back off the screw 1/4 turn and throw it open again. Repeat until set where you like it. Heed xsleepers advise and make sure that even in the closed position, the closer should be under a little tension. If not, that could also be your problem as at the end of the swing, there is not any friction in the cylinder to stop the door.

Old 05-23-13, 01:28 PM
B
Pilot Dane:
Since I sanded the edges of the door...it fit's fine.....My problem is the pneumatic door closer, both old & new. I can not stop it from slamming the last few inches. I'm talking hard & loud.

Old 05-23-13, 05:32 PM
B
Thank you all for your suggestion's , but crizzi might be right & this door as become too full of moisture for one closer. All the adjustment's & changing of position's have not helped.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: