Need help with special kitchen cabinet door

Old 06-14-13, 07:54 AM
N
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need help with special kitchen cabinet door

Hello.

My kitchen cabinet is equipped with a three-storey drawer that can be pulled in and out of the cabinet in order to store spice bottles and such. The whole unit is made of white melamine. The front decorative panel is made of colored simili-wood-looking melamine.

The white melamine drawer was attached to the decorative panel with three simple wood screws. However, over time, the melamine chipped where the screw were attached and the decorative panel has detached. I fear it will happen again if I repair it the same way. The screw length I can use is limited because it is important I do not damage the front panel from the inside.

Anyone can suggest a way to permanently solve this issue?

I have attached picture for better comprehension, english being not my primary language. Please feel free to ask if more information is required.

Attached Images    
Old 06-14-13, 06:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Yes.... I can see the problem you are having.

Since the holes in the brown face are broken out you will have to drill three new holes.

I'm a big fan of Gorilla Glue. I use that stuff everywhere. You could put a couple of thin beads of that between the drawer and the face panel and then put the screws in to hold the panels together until the glue sets. Be careful.....don't get that stuff on your fingers or clothes as it's pretty much permanent.

Old 06-14-13, 07:45 PM
N
Thank you for your answer PJmax, it is very much appreciated.

Gorilla Glue, I'll try to get a hold of this product in the next few days.

Would using only clamps to hold panel until glue sets be a wise alternative to adding screws or are the screws necessary?

Old 06-14-13, 09:09 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I also thought of gorilla glue, and one other idea(from a friend's kitchen): Could you attach hinges to the door, and to the cabinet body, in such a way that the door could swing out of the way, then pull out the white drawer structure separately?

Old 06-14-13, 09:55 PM
Group Moderator
If you didn't want to use screws then you must clamp the pieces together firmly. Gorilla glue expands as it sets. The glue is plenty strong without the addition of the screws.

If during the course of using that glue it comes out between the panels...... leave it. You can carefully scrape it off after it dries. It's very hard to clean that glue when it's wet. It's very sticky and is almost un-removeable.

Old 06-15-13, 06:13 AM
N
Mikedel: thanks for the idea, however, I don't think it would work in this case. Since it is intended to be used as a drawer, with an hinge, I think the front panel would conflict with the adjacent door (which in that case is a real door). I find it also very cool to use this as a drawer for fast access to spices while cooking. I also have a second identical drawer on the other side of my stove to store cutting boards, cooking plates and such. So it's best if the two operate the same way.

PJmax: I checked it out at the store and there are two typs of gorilla glue : "original (brown)" and "wood glue". Which one is better for my application? Do I need to 'score' (or 'sand'?) the melamine surfaces before applying glue, the surface are quite smooth. Is it an issue with this type of glue?

Last edited by Needhelp51; 06-15-13 at 06:45 AM.
Old 06-15-13, 08:13 AM
Group Moderator
The original brown is fine. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to scuff up the finishes.

Old 06-15-13, 03:35 PM
N
Ok thanks a lot for the info. I will provide feedback once it is completed.

Old 08-10-13, 05:44 AM
N
Hello,

It's been a while, but I finally took the time to repair that cabinet door . I used the original gorilla glue. Since I don't have clamps, I held it pressed down with my weight for 20 minutes, then i put some heavy books on it for the night. I had to scrape a little excess product because it indeed takes up extra volume when drying. It doesn't matter however since the extra glue was on the inside, thus not visible. I did not use screws. It seems very strong for now. I doubt it will ever come off. Thanks for the good advice, gentlemen.

Have a nice day.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: