clothesline hardware

Old 06-26-13, 06:28 PM
M
mik
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
clothesline hardware

I'm installing a t-shaped clothesline using pressure treated 4x4s for the posts and stainless steel eye bolts to hang the wire. I'm planning on using plastic coated wire but not sure that will work when attaching it to the post. Are there any better fasteners than others for this purpose? Turnbuckles, etc?

Old 06-26-13, 08:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 856 Votes on 784 Posts
I'd suggest you use the longest 3/8" eyebolts you can find, since you can use the long thread on the eyebolts to tighten up your wire after you tie the knots. You can never pull the line as tight as you'd like it, but if you have 4" of thread to snug up on either end, you will!

In addition to the T, you will likely require a diagonal guy wire to a concrete anchor plate on the ground (extending several feet beyond the posts) because when you hang heavy wet clothes on the line it will tend to pull the posts together at the top. The guy wire simply helps resist that force.

Old 06-27-13, 01:19 PM
M
mik
thanks. I was considering using a stainless eye-to-eye turnbuckle on each wire: tying the wire to the turnbuckle, then that turnbuckle to the eye bolt going through the wood 4x4 post. That would give me another option when tightening the wire- turn the turnbuckle OR tighten the eye bolt like you recommended. But maybe that's overkill, it may provide a weak point (tying the wire to the turnbuckle) in the wire, and I'm not sure I could 'tie' that wire tight enough to prevent slippage.
-any comments?

Old 06-27-13, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
You don't tie the wire....you use cable clamps. Or crimped on ferrules (?). Using eyelet inserts also lessens the chance of a weak spot. My terminology may be off...but a search for pics will show what I mean.

Also be advised...the tops of the posts will start to bow in if you tighten it too much. Doesn't matter how deep they are buried, in concrete or whatever. They will bow if you go past just snug, unless you use the guy wires...which will be a big trip hazard. Even then, if you over tighten the outer wires on the T's...the cross bar will bow in.

Old 06-27-13, 04:33 PM
Group Moderator
Looping the cable through the eyelets then swaging aluminum ferrules onto the doubled cable to clamp it works well, but the tool to do the crimping is $30 and if you are like me you probably will have no idea where the tool is the next time you need it. (don't ask me how I know this) LOL

Old 06-27-13, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I think the last time I used the crimp on, I rigged something in the vise with metal rod to make the indentations? I used hook bolts instead of eye bolts so it didn't have to be done on site. The bolt on clamps work fine, but I suggest 2 per end.

Old 06-28-13, 09:54 AM
M
mik
thanks for the suggestions; I have plenty of tools, but really (really!) dislike buying specialty tools that I'll probably never use again. So thanks for your input Sleeper, but spending $30 on a tool I'll only use once isn't appealing. Now that I have your ideas, I can figure out which hardware to use and how to attach it.
I also appreciate the warning about not over- tightening the wires to prevent bowing the posts. I'm attaching one of the 'Ts" directly to a PT 6x6 that's part of the framing of my indestructible pool deck, so no way that's going anywhere from laundry hanging on it. I'll be careful tightening the wires on the other post.
Once again, thanks to all for your guidance & suggestions.

Old 06-28-13, 05:09 PM
Group Moderator
Maybe you could use an electrical stripper/crimper to swage the ferrules... never tried it, but its an idea.

Old 04-30-14, 08:32 PM
U
T clothesline steel cable

I read somewhere you also can hammer the Ferrule too. That is what I did rather than buying the swagging tool. The Ferrule looked a little rough afterwards compared to having the neat visible crimp marks.

I liked the coated steel cable line, turnbuckles etc. for the T clothesline from above post. I did it as well. Clothesline hooks to attach to T bar. Put the cable around Thimbles for the "Loop Ends" securing one end with a Ferrule and the other with rope clips(if I needed to adjust it, it seemed easier).

I did two clotheslines using one Turnbuckle per line. (eye to eye) I then used spring link (carabiner thing) to connect eye of the cable line and eye of the turnbuckle. Then Turnbuckle to Clothesline Hook.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Uscire11; 04-30-14 at 08:37 PM. Reason: change title

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: