Need: Black oxide wood screws, lag screws/bolts, washers

Old 07-13-13, 01:52 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need: Black oxide wood screws, lag screws/bolts, washers

Hi,

I have been all over the web and have been striking out, so I hope someone here can point me in the right direction.

I have built two (identical) loft beds for my two older sons in the past, and now am in the process of building a third for son #3. I have used plans bought from a woodworker online, and they have worked well. He even included all the hardware needed at a good price (about $50). However, the woodworker retired a few years ago and I haven't been able to reach him this time around. So I need to find an alternative source for the hardware.

Here's what I need:

32 - 5/16" x 3" black oxide-plated hex lag bolts/screws
32 - 5/16" (inner hole diameter) / 7/8" or 1" (total diameter) black oxide-plated washers
86 - #12 x 2 1/2" black oxide-plated flat Phillips head wood screws

The only luck I've had is finding wholesale quantities of the screws (ex. 500+). My question is, does anyone know of a supplier where I could get these for something reasonable (ex. < $100)? One option seems to be to buy unfinished/plain fasteners and then pay to get them plated with black oxide - is that the best bet? Again, any suggestions?

One other question I have is, can black oxide be coated over another plating, like Zinc, or does the hardware have to be unfinished/plain?

I do have a fallback - there's a Fastenal store near my work which will outsource the plating with a 2-day turnaround, but the total cost is $162 ($37 for the fasteners, $125(!) for the plating). Just wondering if I can find anything cheaper.

Thanks very much for any and all suggestions! I have enjoyed reading these forums in the past.

Dave B.

Old 07-13-13, 03:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Is the plating for show only? Just curious as to why a specific anodization or oxide plating is needed for something that will be hidden, except for the head. I'm not a purist, but would not Krylon work for the washers and lag heads, with touch up after installation?

Old 07-13-13, 03:56 PM
D
Hi Larry,

Thanks for the welcome. I'd been "read-only" for some time but finally joined up when I wanted to ask this question...

So yes, it's for show only, but I didn't think spray painting (even metal-approved spay paint) would work / last. Yes, just the heads of the screws, lag screws/bolts, and the washers will show. The other boys' beds' hardware are black oxide and so that why I was going for the same with boy #3's bed. The black looks REALLY nice with the stain.

I suppose I could try paint, and if it doesn't work, get it plated? Question: Should the screws/bolts/washers be plain finish, or is painting over zinc plating (easier to obtain) OK?

Dave

Old 07-13-13, 08:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 283 Votes on 247 Posts
Look in your area for companies that powder coat. Maybe they will add it to another job for a reasonable price.

Another thought, There is a paint that is designed for firearms called Duracoat. As you can guess, it is very durable. It is an two part paint that comes as a kit, or another kit that is oven cured. Go here for more info: https://www.lauerweaponry.com/ Kits start at $35

Not an advertisement, or endorsement. AFAIK they are the only ones that carry this type of paint in kit form.

Old 07-14-13, 04:49 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
Before I'd spend a lot of money on a kit or plating, I'd scuff up the heads/washers with sandpaper, prime and paint them. They'll probably need a little touch up after installation but I doubt they'll see enough wear for it to be an issue once you are done with the construction.

Old 07-14-13, 10:03 PM
D
Sounds like a plan. Paint first, then kit if that fails, then plating if all else fails.

I'll try to remember to post back here with the results.

Thanks very much everyone for the advice!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: