How can I do this?

Old 07-30-13, 05:49 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question How can I do this?

Hello,

Ok so I am working on an ebike project, and right now I am attempting to replicate a homemade friction drive which basically is just an electric motor with a spindle on it that will rub against the back tire, so that whenever the motor spins the spindle spins with it which moves the bicycle wheel. Also, here's the tricky part, the spindle will only work in one direction. Such that if the motor is off, the wheel can freely move and freely spin the spindle without turning the motor. Kind of like how a freewheel works on a bike.

Does that make sense?

If it does, can you help me make one?

I have this motor:
Electric Bike Scooter 24V250W Motor, Engine Brush Motor (MY1016) - China Electric Motor,Brush Motor

It's shaft is a D-bore, but there is about 1/2" of 5/16" sized threading on it.

What parts do I need to get and in what order do I need to assemble them in so that I can achieve the above?

Thanks so much,
-James

Old 07-30-13, 05:55 PM
J
So to be a little bit clearer.

Is there such a part that I can attach to my shaft that will spin freely, without turning the shaft, but when the shaft turns in one direction, then this part will spin with the shaft?

Thanks,
-James

Old 07-30-13, 06:10 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
James, I like anything with a motor and 2 wheels.Not much on electric though.Don't think you can do that without disengaging the motor without moving the armature inside.Don't think it would be to much of a drag though.Google motor bicycle and you will find a lot more about them.Most have sections on electric bikes. Good luck and check in on how you make out.

Old 07-30-13, 06:21 PM
J
Question

Thanks for replying.

Well, the plan isn't to change the function of the motor.
You know how when you pedal with your bicycle the chains spin the freewheel which then spins the tire? But then when you stop pedaling the tire keeps on moving even though the chains aren't?
I'm trying to find a way to make a part to act as a freewheel so that when the motor spins, my tire will spin, but when the motor stops spinning my tire will keep on spinning. Or if I had the motor off, I could just pedal on my own without dragging the motor.

Basically I'm just trying to get some ideas as to how I can make a freewheel with some parts I would find at my local hardware store, or that I could order online.

Does that make more sense?

Old 07-30-13, 06:35 PM
G
Most of the friction drives I know of move the motor off the tire.I know what you are getting at but you might have to change that mode to a duel chain type set up.

Old 07-30-13, 07:11 PM
J
Ya, I think you are right.
I'm trying to break convention here though.

But seriously, there's no such thing as a freewheel for non bicycle applications?
Well, would it be possible for me to make my own freewheel?

Do you know of any product similar to what I am after?

Thanks,
-James

Old 07-30-13, 07:21 PM
J
Question

Please see attached picture.

Would something like this exist? (assume only clockwise motion) Where if the inner (red) is stationary, the outer (black) can spin without moving the inner. But if the inner moves then the outer must move.

Anything like this out there?

Thanks,
-James

Attached Images  
Old 07-30-13, 07:35 PM
G
I take it the motor will be on the rack.I seen where they use a geared adapter on the hub and maybe they took it thru a freewheel.Was not paying much attention.The one I made is 4 stroke with that adapter.Get on the forums about motor bicycles and go to the electric sections.

Old 07-30-13, 08:27 PM
J
Alright, so some people from a bike forum were able to help me out. They said check into a sprang clutch which seems like it will fit the bill for me.

However, how can I go about hooking up

CSK15 One Way Bearing Sprag Clutch Freewheel Backstop | eBay

(the inner part) to my motor's shaft (which is a D bore with the last 1/2" threaded at 5/16")?

Thanks

Old 07-30-13, 09:13 PM
G
There's a lot smarter people here then me,James.Might have to get the shaft machined.I don't see how that would help though,I went with a jack shaft and cent. clutch.Maybe wait on them.Take it that your still going with friction.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: