Door hinges - screws won't stay in

Old 02-17-01, 01:44 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry

I have a bathroom door in which the screws in the hinges won't stay in. ( of course it doesn't help to have three girls slamming them!!!) The screws don't seem long enough to us and they are differing lengths and types ( some are threaded all the way to the top and some aren't)- As far as we know the builder ( 3 yrs old) put it in that way but the previous owners could have changed them.
What is the best replacement and way to put them in more securely?
We will appreciate any help.
Mary Ellen and Mike Finch

Old 02-20-01, 09:30 AM
bit_twiddler
Visiting Guest
I think your best bet is to remove the door and fill in the old screw holes with wood putty (make sure you get nice and deep into the holes). Wait for it to dry completely, then drill some small pilot holes where the new screws will go in and get some 1/2" or longer screws to replace the old ones.

Old 02-20-01, 01:43 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think first I would try a larger and longer screw. Take one hinge off and take it to a hardware store and tell them you want the next larger size screw and one about 1/2" longer. For example, if you currently have a #10 woodscrew 1" long, get a #12 woodscrew 1 & 1/2" long. Make sure the head of the new screw will fit in the depression in the hinge, or the door will not close all the way.

Although wood putty is easy to use, it is not structurally very strong. I have had much better luck drilling out the holes with a 3/8" dowel bit, and gluing in a piece of dowel to provide a sound anchoring point. The predrill the holes for the hinge. I would not, however, do this if the larger screws solve your problem.

Old 02-21-01, 01:57 AM
P
I am lazy. If longer screws did not work, I'd remove one screw at a time and fill the hole with wooden match sticks or toothpicks coated with wood glue (or epoxy if I had some laying around) and break them off flush with the wood and replace the screw. Now if that didn't hold, I'd use a dowel like Rick suggested.

Phil

Old 02-25-01, 09:59 AM
Most door jamb material is 3/4" thick at most - the screws are usually 3/4".

Replace the current screws with ones 2" or 2-1/2" long, same diameter. This will let the screw reach the wall framing. Larger diameter screws should NOT be used. They will not fit the hinge properly and may cause difficulty in closing the door.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: