Outdoor DIY Pull Up Bar

Old 09-20-13, 08:24 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outdoor DIY Pull Up Bar

I'm trying to build an outdoor pull up bar and I wanted to get some advice.

Here is my plan.

2 - 4x6 10' or 12' posts. I originally wanted 12' but i was concerned that I may not be able to dig 4' with a post hole digger I have. So I was going to maybe go with 10' and dig 3'. But then it is at 7 feet, which is lower than I wanted but should be acceptable. Put some rocks in bottom of hole and fill it with quick crete

1 - 1" x60" or 72" galvanized steel bar

My concern is how can I put the bar up without it spinning?

I was thinking a flange, but it would think it would spin.

SHould I drill a hole through the posts and how should I secure them. Should I use a hole saw or a drill bit?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-13, 08:37 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
One option would be to cut a slot about 2in with a grinder in each end of your bar(guessing it is round) insert it into the posts and then using a piece of flat metal 2in x 3in sharpen on edge and hammer it into the wood and make sure it fits into the slot of the bar.

Old 09-21-13, 02:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Excellent idea to keep the rod from turning. I am concerned with only a 1" bar. At 60", you may have unwanted flexing, and 1" may not be what you want to hold on to. Try larger size pipe to see which one fits your hand best. You could also nest two pipes inside each other to obtain a little more rigidity. Then use Chasse's idea for stability.

If 7' is too short, use a 12' post in a 3' hole. You magically get 9' Put your rod where you want it and leave the rest, OR place a 2x4 or 2x6 depending on the orientation across the top for even more stability, and lag bolt it down into the posts.

Oh, welcome to both of you to the forums!!