drywall screws vs. wood screws

Old 02-20-01, 07:33 AM
bit_twiddler
Visiting Guest
Can anyone tell me whether drywall screws are suitable for most around-the-house projects? They seem less prone to corrosion and they're cheeper than wood screws, but I'm wondering whether they will hold up if I use them for building a workbench out of 2x4's or furniture repair, or deck repair.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-01, 12:59 PM
I think you would be much better off with deck screws, the thread is much coarser, gives a good bite, and does not require drilling in soft woods.

Old 02-24-01, 07:16 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
drywall screws are the duct tape of the screw world and will do just about anything -come in fine and coarse threads -but id not advise you to use them for deck repairs as none ive ever seen are galvanized or zinc plated and will rust--------hope this helps josh

Old 02-24-01, 10:07 PM
Hey Josh,

Deck screws ARE galvanized.

Old 02-27-01, 06:52 PM
Just for the record, I too use drywall screws for many common jobs around the house, most usually hanging pictures. I don't suggest them for heavy duty jobs because they have a lower shear strength than regular wood screws. If you're using a square drive screw (drywall), you can snap it in two driving into almost any wood.

PS - While all screws I'm familiar with for decking are weather resistant in one way or another, they're not all galvanized. Some are stainless steel, some have a coating of zinc dichromate - which is generally considered better than galvanized..

Old 03-02-01, 05:57 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
galvanization

arkayassoc

my point was that normal drywall screws are not corrosion resistant and should therefore not be used for decks

however i have recently found galvanized drywall screws and these could be used for decking but not the standard black ones

hope this helps-----josh

Old 03-02-01, 05:59 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
if any of you are looking for weather resistant exterior nails i recommend MAZE nails they are twice galvanized and seem to last forever

hope this helps-----Josh