Joint choice on a box.

Old 10-01-13, 05:41 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Joint choice on a box.

Hi Everyone,

I'm designing a stand for my pc monitor at the moment, essentially it will be a box, and i'm curious about which type of joint to use, im torn at the moment between using a dowel joint or a dovetail joint.

I have quite a limited knowledge on woodworking, so dovetails would provide a big challenge, one which im not sure I even have the tools to complete.

I figured a dowel is do-able, but then I didnt know if that would make it unstable in which case it would make a terrible stand.

For reference, i'm hoping to make it 45cmx20cmx20cm, I don't know whether that changes anything.

So can someone shed some light on this for me please.

Old 10-01-13, 05:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

What type/size lumber are you using?

Old 10-01-13, 06:04 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Showing a picture of exactly what it is your trying to make might help with better suggestions.
May want to consider using a Kreg Tool to make your joints.
Simple to use, makes a tight strong joint.
Kreg Jigs

Old 10-01-13, 06:14 AM
T
@marksr - thanks, and I have no clue, I need the box to be hollow with space inside, how thick do you think it should be? and as for type again I have no clue.

@joecaption1 - thanks for that link, i'll definitely take a look at that, and am I allowed to put pictures on the forum? I wasn't sure if I was, i'll upload a picture as soon as I get home from work, unfortunately that'll be about three hours yet.

Old 10-01-13, 07:09 AM
T
It's hard to make suggestions without knowing what tools you have at hand or have access to. What type of monitor do you have? I'm guessing it's a flat panel so it's not very heavy. Will the box be utilitarian or do you want it to be polished desk accessory that is visible to people sitting across from your desk?

Old 10-01-13, 08:21 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
A dovetail is attractive and strong but difficult to cut by hand without practice and very good tools. Dovetail jigs are fussy and not worth the setup time for one item. If you have a router I would suggest dovetail "keys" that give the decorative look but are easy to accomplish. A couple ways to do it:

Router table:
http://www.woodsmithshop.com/downloa...etail-keys.pdf

Router jig:
Strong, Good-Looking Mitered Boxes | Woodsmith Tips

Old 10-01-13, 11:06 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I would probably go with the pocket screws but I own a Kreg system already.

I think just about anything is going to be fine as long as you use a decent thickness of material, a monitor stand doesn't have to handle much weight so I think how it looks may be an important factor in what you do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: