RivNuts Question

Old 11-18-13, 05:22 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
RivNuts Question

I posted this a few weeks ago http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ha...tal-metal.html and someone mentioned Rivnuts or Rivetnuts so I bought this kit from Princess Auto 45 pc Threaded Insert and Riveting Tool Kit | Princess Auto

I thought it would be a piece of cake just like pop-up rivets but after the third attempts I'm wondering if the tool is malfunctioning or it's operator error.

I started with the #6-32 since I already have the screws for it.

First I can't find the right drill bit size my caliper says 0.193 and I have everything but something close so I used a smaller size and ran the drill press up and down to enlarge the hole. It kind of fits but I don't see the bulge in the rivet and 2 it seems that I am stripping the thread of the insert I can see aluminum on the thread of tool and the screw doesn't start nicely I have to use a screwdriver to start it.

Old 11-18-13, 05:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,476 Votes on 1,364 Posts
The hole you drill must be the size that is required. They take a little getting used to. I use them all the time for putting mirrors on vehicles. The ones I use are called nutserts. Look like in the diagram below.

Name:  nut.jpg
Views: 5575
Size:  5.1 KB

You drop them in from the surface and the tool draws the threaded part into the back of the sheetmetal.

Last edited by PJmax; 11-18-13 at 05:57 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 11-18-13, 06:14 PM
A
Do you put the insert by hand or with the tool? And also do you thread the insert all the way on the tool until it doesn't turn anymore?

Old 11-18-13, 06:37 PM
Group Moderator
You can thread the nutsert onto the tool and then insert it into the hole. It should fit the hole fairly snugly. Hold the tool tight to the metal and turn the handle to set it.

Old 11-18-13, 06:52 PM
A
And just one "crimp"? I wonder why I'm stripping the threads on the inserts!! Might be cheap quality. Do you know if there's a chart somewhere for droll bit size for those inserts?

Old 11-18-13, 07:04 PM
Group Moderator
If those are all aluminum, including the thread, that might be the issue.
Quality could be an issue too.

I would have thought the kit you bought would tell you what size hole to drill.

Old 11-18-13, 08:10 PM
A
Same here the actual instruction are on the front of the package and they are all one liners!!!! And that's it no chart or anything line that

Old 11-19-13, 02:39 PM
A
Might be a dumb question but when do you stop pushing? Soon as you feel the slightest resistance? Or a tad more? If I stop when I feel a bit of resistance it gives me the best results the thread is still good but no bulge at all if I go a bit further I strip the insert!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: