Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Hardware, Tools, Wood & Metal Working, Home & Business Security > Hardware and Fasteners
Reload this Page >

need advice on securing anti tip furniture straps to walls with metal studs

Old 02-18-14, 10:28 PM

I need some advice please. I have a young child and need to secure a lot of furniture around the house to the walls to prevent tipping. My husband and I got some of the anti tip straps and followed directions, but after drilling into what we thought were the studs (used stud finder) the screws were still pulling out. Invited neighbor over to help. He said our homes have aluminum studs. Oh, great. Also the wall we were working with has kitchen cabinets on the other side, so we determined that the studs were located way back in the wall- too far for our screws to reach. So, how do we secure things on this particular wall if the studs are far back? As for the rest of the house (presuming the studs are right behind the wall) is there a safe way to anchor the straps into these studs? Some of the things are heavy, like bookcases with books, dressers, etc. It needs to be secure. Any advice in simple terms about what hardware to use and how (because we are not handy people) would be appreciated!!! I can't afford to hire someone to do this as we have many pieces to do, and we can't tear up all the walls to reinforce them. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-14, 08:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No such thing as aluminum studs, there steel.
How long a screw are you trying to use?
The studs are going to in direct contact with the drywall.
Going to need fine thread sheetrock screws for metal studs at least 1-1/4 long.
A simple magnetic stud finder will work.