Securing 4x4 Beams

Old 02-19-14, 01:30 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Securing 4x4 Beams

I have two similar setups that I'm looking for advice on regarding securing these beams. The first is a 4x4 wooden beam, which is vertical. I'm looking to secure a horizontal 4x4 beam, at a 90 degree angle to the vertical beam making a "T", but want to be able to adjust the height. Ideally, I'd like some sort of collar that would fit around the horizontal beam, and allow for several holes to be drilled through the vertical beam with a bolt and nut passed through, to secure it in place, yet be able to move to a different height as needed.

The other scenario is almost identical to the first, but would involve a 2nd horizontal beam, which would connect to the vertical beam at the same height as the other beam, but 90 degrees from it. Think along the lines of a 90 degree corner meeting at a fence post. So essentially, I'd like a similar sleeve, but allowing both beams to be connected at the same height to the one vertical beam at the intersection.

I've been digging around trying to find something like this, but can't find quite what I want. Any ideas would be great.

Old 02-19-14, 06:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! We are going to nee to know what you are doing, first. Is this a fence? Is it a deck? Not sure why you need it adjustable. The vertical members are called "posts" while your horizontal members are "beams". Go to the Simpson Strongtie website and look through their inventory to see if you come across bracing you could use.

Old 02-19-14, 07:52 PM
N
Thanks for the reply! The posts are intended to be the poles for a bed frame. Think adjustable height bunk bed. I was planning to use 4x4 lumber for the 4 poles, 4x4 for the 2 rails on the lower bunk, to give some rigidity at the bottom, and 2x6 for the upper rails.

The Simpson BC4 post cap appears to be close to what I had in mind, except it seems to be designed only for nail attachment. I was hoping to find something similar with bolt holes so I could easily move the frame up or down the poles to adjust height as needed.

Old 02-20-14, 04:16 AM
For that application you can over drill the Simpson to allow for bolts. For simplicity, I would use 2x6's for the bottom framing as well. It would be just as strong and would fit better. You can inset the 2x lumber into your 4x4 lumber and bolt it without metal plates.
Above all, I hope you have a source of non pressure treated lumber. 4x4's are rare except in PT.

Old 02-20-14, 07:49 AM
N
If a 2x6 will be sufficient for the rails, I don't mind using them. Can you describe the inset you mentioned to bolt one to the 4x4? And yes, 4x4 untreated has been hard to find. I had to go through a few shops to find it, and then pick through quite a bit of what I did find to get pieces that were straight, and without large splits or cracks. In the end I managed to get what I needed, but took some effort, for sure.

Old 02-20-14, 02:17 PM
Cut out part of the 4x4 so the 2x6 will seat inside the cut out up to a point 1 1/2" from the edge. Your opposing 2x6 will sit there and you can lag bolt those to the other lateral 2x6 which you will carriage bolt to the 4x4. Hard to describe. Don't laugh at my drawing.

Name:  bed.jpg
Views: 5773
Size:  6.6 KB

Name:  bed2.jpg
Views: 5731
Size:  6.2 KB

Old 02-21-14, 12:44 PM
N
That makes perfect sense, and should do what I need. Thanks!

Old 02-21-14, 02:25 PM
The easiest way to do this is to mark your location on the 4x4, then set your circle saw to exactly 1 1/2", and make repeated kerf cuts across your intended location. Once you have make 1/4" or less kerfs, you can take a chisel and snap them out and clean out the bottom for a good fit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: