Attaching Beadboard

Old 02-25-14, 12:30 PM
Attaching Beadboard

I'm not sure that this is the correct forum, but I think so.

We're re-doing the kitchen and as part of it I have to attach some beadboard to the central island and then molding (quarter round) around the top and bottom of the beadboard. I'm not sure whether I should be using nails, staples, a nail gun, glue, or what. I tried using small brads but was stymied by trying to get them as close to the edge (which means as close to the floor or overhang) as possible and so am now thinking that glueing them might be the best idea. But, of course, that tends to be pretty much final - there's no taking the beadboard off again.

So should I glue or use nails/staples? If nails/staples, what kind? Should I buy/hire a gun of some kind? If so, what kind?

In case you haven't realized, I'm pretty much new to this DIY, so any information would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-14, 02:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Using a combination will work. Why are you worried about removing the beadboard? It isn't tinker toys . I like to use glue as well as 7/16" x 7/8" long narrow crown staples. Yes, you will notice them slightly, but you can use wood filler to fill the dimples. Staples hold the grain much better than brads do.

Old 02-25-14, 03:51 PM
Group Moderator
narrow crown staples... you mean 3/16" x 7/8", don't you Larry?

Old 02-25-14, 04:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Actually I think mine are 7/32". I typed it incorrectly. Thanks for the catch.