Can I use JB weld to attach a threaded insert to plastic?

Old 03-13-14, 06:09 PM
Can I use JB weld to attach a threaded insert to plastic?

This is actually a two part question. The background is the hinge on my laptop broke. Initially it was attached by 3 screws to brass threaded inserts that had been molded into the plastic laptop lid. Due to the stiffness of the hinge and probably also due to me opening it improperly (from one side instead of both sides or the center), the inserts broke out of the plastic, leaving three housings where they were originally set. See here: http://i.imgur.com/4sNabed.jpg

1) If I purchase some inserts to replace them, will JB Weld work to attach the brass inserts to the plastic housings? Is there some other adhesive that would work better? I have 5 minute epoxy at home, and could buy something else if it was better.

2) Which kind of inserts would be best to buy to replace them? Should I use something like these heat-set inserts McMaster-Carr that are pretty much identical to the originals, despite not using heat to set them (or I guess I could use a soldering iron to heat them up, but I don't know if the fit would be tight enough to melt and set the plastic over them...)? Would helical inserts like these McMaster-Carr be best? Is there another option I'm missing?

All suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-14, 06:12 PM
Looks like the McMaster-Carr links didn't work right. On the page that did end up getting linked, just click "helical inserts" or "heat-set inserts for plastics" to get to the right ones.

Old 03-13-14, 07:31 PM
Group Moderator
There isn't too much to attach any replacement part to.
A picture of the area where the insets are needed would be a big help.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 03-13-14, 08:00 PM
Here's a picture of the housings (ignore the piece of paper).

Name:  laptop holes.jpg
Views: 1249
Size:  29.9 KB

The holes are pretty much the radius and depth of the insert (I still have one of the original, the others were lost). I was thinking to put some adhesive on the outside of the replacement insert, fit it in the hole, and wait for it to bond to both the insert and the plastic.

Old 03-13-14, 08:21 PM
Group Moderator
You would definitely need something to hold the insert in. Make sure what you use is fresh. You want maximum holding power.

I've had excellent results with Gorilla glue. It has excellent holding power but it expands as it dries. You'd need to be extremely careful as you can't have any of the glue coming thru the threaded section.

Old 03-13-14, 08:31 PM
I was thinking about Gorilla Glue but ruled against it for the reason you mention....it's a pretty tight space so might be tough to keep it from expanding into the inside of the insert. Any experience with JB Weld or 5-minute epoxy for metal-plastic?

Also, any suggestions on which type of insert would be better to use?

Old 03-13-14, 08:39 PM
Group Moderator
JB Weld should work ok. Like I mentioned..... make sure it's fresh.... not some old product.

The heat inserts like M/C shows would probably work but I'm not sure of their minimum order quantity.