Help! Cant screw those anchor bolts into my hollow ceiling! :(

Old 03-23-14, 02:03 PM
Help! Cant screw those anchor bolts into my hollow ceiling! :(

Hello everybody,

This is my first time experimenting with DIY. I've been trying to mount my projector onto the ceiling. I got those hollow wall anchor bolts (10mm diameter) and just can't get them to work. The first one wouldn't secure and the second one just made a huge hole and fell above the ceiling. I've followed the exact instructions and made sure the little teeth on the anchor bolts were secured in the plasterboard. What am I doing wrong here? I've attached pictures just in case.

Many thanks!!! Appreciate your help!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-14, 02:08 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

As an alarm installer I use those by the boxes. To install them I use a #2 phillips screwdriver as my drill. Then I just tap them in. You can drill a hole with a drill but the hole must be small enough that the anchor needs to be tapped in.

I think one size under 1/4" would work.

Old 03-23-14, 02:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
To salvage what you have there with the holes already in place, switch to toggle bolts. Make sure you get ones that are long enough to go completely through the wall and get a good grab on the back side.

Old 03-23-14, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the reply. I didn't actually drill the hole you see in the picture. That happened when I tried screwing in that anchor bolt with a philips screwdrive - instead of locking in it would just keep spinning and drilling further deeper until it fell above the ceiling :/

Old 03-23-14, 02:30 PM
Do I actually need an anchor setting tool? I had absolutely no idea that'd be necessary, and I don't understand why that wasn't mentioned in the instructions on the box :/

Old 03-23-14, 02:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You don't need an anchor setting tool. What PJ is saying is that you need to drill a small hole just large enough for the anchor to fit through. It should be tight enough to need a slight persuasion of a hammer to tap it into the hole.

I think that part of the problem is that the bolts you got are too short. It looks like ones for a 3/8" thick drywall. The next size longer is the one I carry on my truck at all times for when they are needed.

Old 03-23-14, 02:59 PM
Group Moderator
I have encountered poorly made molly screws that just wouldn't collapse correctly. Only solution buy a different brand and cross your fingers.

Old 03-23-14, 03:02 PM
I question if using those are going to hold your projector at all even if they worked properly. How much does the projector weigh?

Old 03-23-14, 03:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I am like Ron53, I don't think you will have good success in mounting a projector with those toggles in a ceiling I would mount a 3/4" piece of finished plywood across two joists solidly screwed into the joists, then screw the projector mount to the wood.

Old 03-23-14, 08:17 PM
It's 7.7lbs plus the mount. I just don't want to spend all day trying to mount it I'll see if i can find a better set of anchor bolts

Old 03-23-14, 09:07 PM
Group Moderator
They aren't anchor bolts. They are molly screws.
I just don't want to spend all day trying to mount it
Famous last words as it hits the floor. Buy Ghostud - Drywall Anchors: Hang Anything, Anywhere, Without a Stud

Old 03-24-14, 02:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Maybe I just don't understand the human reasoning. A piece of plywood = $2 + 4 screws = $1 + 10 minutes of time to install it = $25.... Equals the cost of the unit replacement. Sheetrock is not meant to hold vertical weight. I wish you success.

Old 03-24-14, 08:03 AM
I really appreciate your help guys, this is a great forum btw! The thing is, I don't have access above the ceiling so the Ghostud ray2047 recommended is out (plus I'm in UK and really want to get this done, without having to wait two weeks to receive it in the mail).
So if I'm understanding correctly, my best bet would be to get a stud detector and screw in a 3/4" thick piece of wood to two studs like in this picture? I then use regular screws to attach the mount to the plywood and thats it? I read somewhere that the distance between studs is usually 16", is this correct?

Edit: Alright, one last question What diameter and length screws do I use for mounting the plywood to the studs and the mount to the plywood?

http://cdn.avsforum.com/3/3c/500x100...1f9_Mount.jpeg

http://www.insulationexpress.co.uk/i...or%20Screw.jpg

Many thanks!!