Rusted and broken screws inside BBQ

Old 04-10-14, 01:24 PM
Rusted and broken screws inside BBQ

I am converting my grill from LP to NG. I got the conversion kit and everything has gone to plan. Until I had to take out the heating units from the inside of the grill. The screws holding the units in place are all corroded, rusted and all around un screw like any longer.

I got the "grab it" screw extractor, and that worked for 1 of the 4 screws. The others the heads snapped off. I was able to get the heating units out, now my problem is the broken screws are in the hole that I need to use to re assemble.

I tried the grab it tool on the seared off screws to no avail. Im wondering if I need to buy a fresh set that might have more grip? Do you think a metal drill tip would allow me to drill through it totally? Any other suggestions? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-14, 05:09 PM
Group Moderator
Grind or file the screws even with the metal and drill new holes right next to them. It will be almost impossible to drill the old screws out.

Old 04-10-14, 07:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Got a picture?
May come up with some better suggestions on how to get them out.

Old 04-11-14, 07:02 AM
Group Moderator
If enough of the screw is protruding you can sometimes grab them with locking pliers (Vice grips) and work carefully to turn the screw. You can also try the same thing on the other end of the screw if you can gain access to the back side.

I had gone through the same thing with my grill, except I had a lot of rusted in place screws. I just ground them flush and drove the screw out with a punch. This enlarged the hole so I used the next size larger screw when installing the new parts. On the few screws I couldn't get out I drilled new mounting holes in a different location like PJmax mentioned.

Whatever you do I suggest using stainless steel fasteners. Your new parts likely came with steel screws so you may have to go buy stainless ones. If you can't recognize stainless by it's appearance a magnet will strongly pick up steel screws. Steel screws will "snap" right to the magnet. Depending on the alloy a magnet will not pick up or will only very weakly hold stainless fasteners.

Old 04-11-14, 01:43 PM
one of the screws might allow me to use vice grips on. I tried regular plyers but couldn't get enough grip. The others are flush, or now below metal their screwed into due to my attempt with the grabit extractor bit.

Im thinking I could drill new holes right behind where these ones are stuck. But my only concern is will that mess up the LP connection and flow? The heating unit slides over the LP "bit" , my worry is if im a half inch further back it may mess up that connection.

I dont have pics on me, ill snap some when I get home and post them, heres the grill and theres pics of the heating units in the replacement part section.
5 Burner Heavy-Duty Gas Grill (810-8501-S) | Brinkmann

Old 04-11-14, 02:02 PM
heres a picture of what im dealing with from the owners manual. The "M5" screw is whats causing me probs. I highlighted that. Also highlighted the opposite end where the lp flows in. If I have to move the whole thing back half inch for a new hole will that mess up the LP flow?

PS: Im pretty impressed with brinkmanns website. all the replacement parts right there, the manual, etc.

Attached Images  
Old 04-11-14, 06:37 PM
Group Moderator
If you drill holes right next to the old ones...... how do you get to be 1/2" off ?

BTW....... nice grill

Old 04-14-14, 09:11 AM
So I broke out the ol' Metal drill bits and drilled those son of a guns out. Was able to work my way up from 1/8th size bit all the way to the entire hole size.

New Stainless screws were installed. All is well.

thanks

Old 04-14-14, 11:59 AM
Group Moderator
Glad you got it. I know it's not fun. I went through it with my grill last summer. Saxy, shiny stainless steel on the outside and all the working parts inside were plain steel that rusted out in a couple years. I finally broke down and replaced everything in the interior with stainless to stop the ongoing nuisance repairs.