What type of epoxy, glue, etc should I use ?

Old 04-14-14, 11:13 AM
What type of epoxy, glue, etc should I use ?

I hope I am posting in the right section.... I am involved in a project where I have to permanently attach (glue) tiny metal pieces to circuit boards that can be so strong to act like screws. I tried different material like epoxy, super glue, liquid nails, etc without success. After a short while, these pieces would come loose due to normal use. I can not use screws or solder to hold these pieces in place. It must be some kind of liquid material. What is the toughest, strongest kind of material can I use ? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-14, 11:39 AM
How about silicon glue that will form a head thru the mounting holes?

Old 04-14-14, 11:45 AM
Group Moderator
You say the parts come loose. How and where is the failure occurring?

If you've tried all those materials it sounds like you need to go a totally different route wither with a mechanical fastener or redesign it so the part is not overloading your ability to mount it. I know you're going to say "but I want/need this part right there and don't want to change anything" but not everything is possible. You've tried a wide variety of adhesives and they have all failed.

Old 04-14-14, 12:24 PM
I like the redesign idea- thank you. I just thought there may be a "magic" material that is super strong that I have never heard of. Thanks again for your time.

Old 04-14-14, 03:44 PM
Group Moderator
I'd try PC7 epoxy. It's a 2 part paste that you mix together and its pretty thick. When it sets up it's like iron. I think it would probably work pretty good. You'd mix it up and put some on the board, then some on the piece and then push them together. I think it sets up in 30 minutes if I recall. Clean your tools with acetone.