attach plywood to wooden post

Old 05-14-14, 03:53 PM
attach plywood to wooden post

I've got a retaining wall in my backyard that I want to hook a piece of plywood (4x8) to, in order to make a small, adjustable angle, climbing wall for my son. Not being a professional, and wanting to make sure my son is safe, I want to hold everything together in the safest possible fashion. This is my plan. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm using 3 lengths of 6mm galvanized chain to make it adjustable (on each side and one in the middle), with 8mm carabiners to connect the chain to eye hooks that I'm screwing into the top of the retaining wall posts (in the middle). The eye hooks are 7.5 mm wide and will screw 50mm into the top of the post (I figured I'd drill a guide hole 4mm or something wide to make it possible to screw it in).
I'm pretty sure all of that should be pretty secure, but if you have any suggestions there, please let me know.

I'm most unsure about the best way to attach the chain to the plywood in a secure fashion.. I've seen some small metal plates with a u-shaped hook on them that would screw in with 4 screws to the plywood, then I could use a carabiner to attach that to the chain, but all of them I've seen are stainless steel, which I understand does not do well with galvanized steel. Would that be the best kind of attachment, assuming I can find a galvanized one?

I've attached a crude picture showing sort of what I'm thinking in case my post isn't clear. Thanks much for any help

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-14, 05:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! First your plywood will warp uncontrollably in the weather. You should stiffen it around the perimeter and midpanel with dimension lumber. You can fasten the chains to the underside using eye hooks with the bolts sticking up and countersunk into the plywood/framing combination so it is flush. You don't want anything sticking out that could harm them. Why could you not just attach hinges to the retaining wall and to the plywood unit? Chains seem awfully flimsy way to attach it and hinges will be solid. You could pull the hinge pins out and store the plywood if you wished.

Old 05-14-14, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the feedback :)

I was planning on using something to seal the plywood against the weather, but I think using some 2x4s or something around the sides and through the middle sounds like a good idea, I'll do that. The reason for using chains is so that I can adjust the angle it sits at. If I bring the chains in all the way, I can have it standing upright (I'll secure the bottom in that scenario), and if I let the chains out, then I can have progressively more gentle slopes, so that I can start my kid out climbing on one with a slope. Does that make sense? I don't think a hinge would work for that. Of course perhaps having it on a chain isn't going to be stable enough for climbing on, I might need to be able to anchor it more solidly at a few specific heights to the wall.

Old 05-14-14, 05:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ok, I see your point in using the chains. The hinge won't give you that latitude. Using a caribiner may help adjust the chain link by link.