Framing out basement

Old 05-29-14, 07:14 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Framing out basement

I am planning on refinishing my basement. The previous owner was flooded out during hurricane Sandy and gutted basement. They re-tiled the entire basement and now I need to frame above large rectangular tiles. Not sure how to do this. Was thinking of using metal sole plate brackets. Using a ceramic bit to drill thru tile (5/8th bit?) then drill into cement sub floor using some kind of self taping screw. I was told they have a mushroom type head and self fastening type after hammering in? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-05-14, 03:34 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drilling is probably your only choice. 5/8 seems excessive, though. I'd use 3/8 max, but check your codes. That's the hardest part. Redhead anchor bolts just drop in the hole and then you tighten the nut and expand the sleeve at the same time. Holds like a pit bull.

Old 06-05-14, 04:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If your wall will also be attached to the joists above (or perlins in the parallel part) I would also use PL 8X under the bottom pressure treated plate. Tapcons are good, but do not under any circumstances use powder actuated fasteners. It will shatter the tile.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: