Refinishing Door Hinges?

Old 06-17-14, 08:07 PM
Refinishing Door Hinges?

Hi All, new member here. I'm working on a project and I've replaced our doors and selected new knobs of the brushed nickel look.

I'd like to reuse the existing hinges. They were covered in paint, so I boiled them and got the paint off. What was revealed is shown in my photo. Looks like some sort of brassy stain or finish thats damaged. Underneath are silver hinges that would match my knobs fairly well if the stain was removed.

Can I remove the stain? Should I be worried about rust, etc. if I do? Thanks for any ideas.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-14, 08:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Loosing battle, time for new hinge's.

Old 06-17-14, 08:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can try a heavy duty stripper or a wire wheel. If you can get them to the bare steel base, clean all oils and residue and spray them with a clear acrylic finish.

Old 06-18-14, 03:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you want perfection - replace the hinges! A clear coat over clean metal will prevent rust, another option would be to take an aerosol can of paint [brass, pewter color, etc] and paint the hinges, won't look as good as new but shouldn't be offensive.

Old 06-18-14, 09:30 PM
I considered sanding them down and spraying a clear sealer over them. Looked decent, but I concluded it was too much work and still wasn't able to get it all off.

Going to try spraying a coat of paint and then sealer. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 06-19-14, 03:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Paint shouldn't need any sealer.